Intex Saltwater System question

Yes... Just run it as a normal "chlorine added" pool until you get the salt added. You can't wait until your SWG is up and running, or you'll have a green mess on your hands in a hurry... If anyone is has been in the water already, then you've got people/fecal bacteria in there... And algae starts trying to take over before the pool is even all the way full.
You may (likely, will) find you need to add bleach or other liquid chlorine (same thing, different %concentration) occasionally if your pool gets heavy use.... The Intex pumps and SWGs have a tough time keeping up sometimes (the pump more so than the SWG, but they go hand in hand, because if the chlorinated H2O that enters the pool doesn't get circulated well enough, it will seem like your SWG is the problem, but with a better pump, our Intex SWG was more than adequate)

Do not ever use the "boost" function.... They don't make it very clear in the instructions, but the only thing boost does is increase the copper ionization (just noticed you have the ozone version... I'm sure it's similar though, in that the chlorine production isn't what's "boosted") for 3x the normal run time (up to max 36 hours).... It does nothing to increase chlorine production, besides the fact that the unit as a whole is running longer.... So you can get the same chlorine increase with a longer run time and no "boost"....

We are in process of moving to the Seattle area (Bainbridge Island) and I've been sad, knowing I have to leave my pool behind :( ... Intex pools claim to be seasonal, and able to be taken down and put back up the next year.... But without fail, when you do that, they end up with holes. Here in AZ, we have left ours up year-round, and in 4 years, we haven't had a single leak. But our previous Intex, we took down after the summer was over, and when we set it up the following year, it leaked so much... we patched it more places than I can remember. We tossed it at the end of the second season, because we never did find all the holes, the ground around it was always damp, even if no one was using the pool for days.....
I just don't want to deal with the leaks again.... I don't think I've ever heard of anyone who's taken them down, that didn't have leaks the next year.... And a lot of people end up with mildew in the folds, too... Although with enough bleach that is easily taken care of.

With what our house is costing, and the fact that the season is so short there compared to AZ (& we only use ours for ~3.5 months here really...) I can't see ever getting an in-ground pool in WA.... :uhh:
And I can totally relate to the "empty feeling in your wallet".... Even if it's for a different reason.
I hate that until we close, it feels like the mortgage company is staring at our bank account.

Welcome to TFP & Happy swimming!

P.S. If you are on well water, do a quick search here to see what issues can crop up when you first add chlorine, so you'll know what to do, and won't panic if your water turns some funky color. :colors:

Thanks for the reply. I'm planning to make improvements to the whole setup each season (this is the first!), and I read in more than one place that the 1500gph pump is under powered. It will probably be the first thing I upgrade.

I wasn't planning to take mine down. I've heard that leaks can happen when you fold up the liner to store it, and leaks can happen if you leave it up over the winter. So why go to the trouble of taking it down if it will leak anyway?

Bainbridge is about 10 miles from me. Happy swimming! I'll read your reply more in depth when I'm not working on homework. Thanks again for the reply!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm on city water which publishes water quality reports each year. It's not bad. The water in Kitsap county is pretty good. It sometimes gets the tea-colored tinge to it especially in the summer when everyone is watering their lawns. That's fine as long as I can filter it out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.