Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What do you do with the tested water?

1. Back To Top    #1

What do you do with the tested water?

I have a K-2006. What do you do with the water that you have tested that has all of the chemicals in it that you just added?

Maybe I'm being too careful, but I'm wondering if it is safe to
    - put it down the drain in to the septic tank (where you're supposed to avoid chlorine)
    - put it back in the pool where we swim
    - in the yard where i have the choice of lawn, vegetable garden, or wet lands (lawn would be the best choice, but not perfect.)

What do you do?
    19,000 gallons
    Stay-Rite System 3 Cartridge filter
    IG vinyl, MasterTemp 400 Propane heater
    Intellichlor 40 SWG, 2006 Taylor Test Kit with Speed Stirrer
    1.5 HP Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What do you do with the tested water?

I do the first and have a septic tank. The amount of chlorine you are adding is FAR less than is coming from your normal drinking water! (and nothing a bit of RidX can't take care of.

(So tell me, do you use Clorox in your wash and if you do where does the washer drain to? Do you use a tablet type toilet bowl cleaner that contains chlorine? Do you have municipal water that is most likely santized with chlorine and if you do do you keep it out of the septic tank?)

Pouring it back into the pool is not a great idea. Pouring it in the lawn might be ok if you flush the area with water aftewards... the key here is dilution.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you for the answer.

No, I do not use chlorox or toilet tablets and we have well water.
    19,000 gallons
    Stay-Rite System 3 Cartridge filter
    IG vinyl, MasterTemp 400 Propane heater
    Intellichlor 40 SWG, 2006 Taylor Test Kit with Speed Stirrer
    1.5 HP Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

I am on city water, use all of the above, and don't have any septic problems. I have lived with septic tanks since I was a kid (my parents had one) and I am in my 50's now. My parents tank had to be pumped out after about 25 years but that is par for the course. Like I said, RidX montlly works wonders!

5. Back To Top    #5

I dump in the yard. It hasn't turned any funky colors yet... although red grass would be pretty cool. The dogs are taking care of turning it yellow on their own.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

I just toss mine back in the pool...
    My Pool:
    12K gal IG gunite with 7' raised spa, gunite waterfall, PebbleTec Caribbean Blue finish, solar heating & in-floor cleaning system

Equipment: Sta-Rite 300' Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC20 SWCG, Sta-Rite 400k BTU heater, Intelliflow 4x160 main pump & Sta-Rite 3/4 hp waterfall pump, EasyTouch controlls w/ wireless controller, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by EskimoPie
    I just toss mine back in the pool...
    THIS is something I would never do because some of the reagents are suspected carcinogens or have other health effects. I would not want to swim in them, even in small quantities.

8. Back To Top    #8

I had a pool guy come over for some warranty work on my pool and he tested the water and poured everything back in the pool. I didn't like this method and pour all mine on the ground away from the plants.
    15,000 gal Freeform Salt Water (SWG), Pebble Sheen with in floor cleaner. Hayward 1.5hp pump and 425sq ft Hayward Cartridge filter. 35sq ft Waterfall with separate 1.5hp Hayward Pump.

9. Back To Top    #9

Most pool techs do pour it back in the pool (in fact, some old time ones even shoot pH and OTO reagents right into the water) even though this is not what they are taurght in CPO classes. It's just plain laziness.
    If you contact most test kit manufacturers they will tell you not to pour the results back into the pool but to dispose of it properly.

10. Back To Top    #10

With the daily testing, I just find a weed (got plenty) and dump it on them in hopes that they will die.

But, when I break out the big kit, a/k/a TF100, I send it all down the kitchen sink w/ plenty of water.

btw, my tap water has cc's and my pool does not. I kinda feel like I am doing them a favor.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!