I think I have algae IN my ladder.

marianegs

Bronze Supporter
Jul 8, 2014
NJ
I have cloudy water and failed the Overnight test, so I am going to SLAM. I believe the algae is IN the ladder because I am pretty strict about watching the Chlorine levels. I always brush the stairs, but I dont think the water that is in the ladder gets circulation. Here is my question: Can I just pour bleach into the ladder hole, that has water in it? If so how much bleach? I realize that I should take the entire ladder out and do it, but my husband is away on business and wont be back for a week, and I cant do it on my own. For reference I have the Confer A-Frame Above Ground Swimming Pool Ladder. Thanks for any help you can give.

Yes, ladder steps can definitely harbor algae. I recently saw another poster who used a syringe to inject some bleach into each step/rung. In his case, he mentioned that the bleach is slightly heavier than water so it will tend to sink. He also said it didn't take much in each step. He seemed to be pleased with the outcome. But yes, ladders can provide a surprisingly good home to algae if not cleaned/bleached periodically.

The Confer 7200 we have has a closed water system for weight in the legs and not open to the pool water (I fillwd them with the hose and added chlorine inirially), so on occasion I'll add liquid chlorine to the fill holes on each side. The steps however are exposed to pool water but there can't be much circulation since the holes are so small so I'm going to have to use some type of syringe or Turkey baster to push a little chlorine through them as well..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.