Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Center drain

1. Back To Top    #1

Center drain

We got our above ground pool installed last year and finally got to swim in it at the end of summer. My question is that I'm suspicious that the center drain may not have the liner cut from it since I don't feel any suction from that drain. Should I feel suction from it? If it hasn't been cut, is it something that we can do ourselves, or do I need to call someone in to take care of it? (I really don't want to call the company that put in the pool because I had a terrible experience with them.)

Any advice would be appreciated!

2. Back To Top    #2

I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you. I didn't know AGP had center drains in them. Does that mean it is hooked up to the filter system? Or is it only to drain the pool? I know Matt or someone will know. Kimrst
    5 years 18' Intex Frame pool, July 2009 upgrade, 28ft rnd used Doughboy, 1hs Hayward Power Flow pump, Doughboy DE filter.TF test kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    The drains are designed to prevent entrapment, so you won't feel any suction.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

To check out the circulation in your pool you can add Party Blue or a similar dye (something that will contrast with the color of your liner) and you can see if the dye gets sucked down to the bottom drain of if it stays on the surface and just goes to the skimmer. The dye will dissipate (break down) within a couple of days and you can have fun in a colored pool in the meantime!
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"