Sparkmaster

In The Industry
Aug 2, 2008
Conway SC
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hopefully I'm in the right section in posting this so with that..... For over 12 years, I had a 27' above ground with DE filter in NH, Never had any issues and now that we moved (2014) to SC, we got a 16x32 inground with a sand filter and not very happy. I keep having dirt (Dark brown in color) the next day after cleaning the pool. I would than put my pool rover that I had for my above ground (It does good) to clean it back up and the next day again brown dirt on the bottom. It is Dirt, It's grainy when I inspect it in my pool rover bag. Soooo, does that mean the filter may not have enough sand in it and allowing the dirt back into the pool? I bought some unions yesterday so I'm about to cut the pipes and open up the filter, empty it, clean it, and put new sand in it unless you (the Pro's) think it's a waste of time.

Thanks

If you're getting a significant amount of dirt back in the pool, it's possible that there's an issue with one of the laterals or the stand-pipe they connect to. There could also be an issue with the spider gasket at the multiport valve. If you do open the filter, you could remove and save the sand. Sand generally lasts forever unless it was compromised with some pool store junk. Get down to where you can remove/inspect the laterals and stand pipe. Perhaps you'll find the culprit, then can simply replace the sand. Of course make sure to have the filter about half full of water before adding the sand to prevent the weight of the sand from breaking a lateral as you fill the filter back up. If you do get new sand, always make sure it's #20 silica sand designed for pool use.

First, congrats on moving to SC, that is where i grew up.
Is the dirt localized around where you would expect it to be if it were coming out of your return jets? is it mainly near your steps (assuming you have some). I had a problem with sand/dirt that i initially thought was coming out of return jets which was easily visible on the white steps but it turned out to be sand coming out between the top of the liner joint and the coping. Easily determined by splashing water near that joint and noting whether sand comes out. just a thought.

First thanks for the quick replies.

Now Needsajet, Thanks for the links.. Forgot about adding DE to sand. I probably going to do that ALSO I don't ever think I ever seen my pressure rise. Last time I backwashed and rinsed was back when I started everything up and that was back in early March.

Texas Splash, when they put the sand in the filter they never added any water and now that I just looked at the side of the filter is says to add water before adding sand.. Hmmmm

Pookiesunshine, Thanks.. Loving it here. Anyways dirt is pretty much everywhere... On steps, deep end mostly, and scattered here and there..

I'm thinking removing the sand, cleaning the tub or whatever u call it, and adding new sand and DE with link provided..

Does the pressure gauge drop from it's operating pressure down to zero when the pump is off?

It would surprise me if actual pressure hasn't gone up since March. Could be a worn out gauge. How often do you backwash it?

Since you have verified it is dirt and not sand, also that it probably is not coming from joint between top of liner and coping, it might be from a break in one of your lines. try putting the valve in recirculate to bypass the filter and see if you are still getting the dirt.

You might also put a knee high stocking or something similar over a return and see if you are catching the debris there. That would show that it is coming through the filter. There's always the possibility that it's blowing in from somewhere else, or birds or other wildlife are carrying something into the pool.

Thanks again for the quick replies... Gauge is brand new.. My third one.. For some reason it doesn't last through the few days of freezing weather we have here in SC. It does go to 0 when shut off and this dirt issue been going on since pretty much day one. Just got back from the pool store and bought sand.. She did ask me if I live near fields which I do. Farm behind my house and also my neighbor does have no grass so I do suspect some dirt coming from my neighbors yard..

I will clean my pool again today and afterword's will put it in recirculate mode for the evening to see what it looks like in the morning.. Also will try the stocking.. Thanks again

Well I took the sand filter apart.. Before I sucked out the sand, I marked where the sand was and than I cleaned everything out. Everything looks good.. I rinsed everything and started putting in the new sand (Yes I filled it half way full of water). I noticed when I got 3 bags in, it was exactly where it was originally. So obviously I added the 4th bag 200lbs like it calls for.. So the question is, could that be one of the issues of dirt coming back into the pool? Also after all these years, my pressure gauge never seen over 10 psi and now its at 14. Darn pool store screwed me of a bag, LOL...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Laterals looked perfect.. I inspected every inch every piece and no damage at all.. Side of filter it states 200lbs and the sand I purchased had my model number on it and stated 200lbs.. Water line was above the filter this morning so I was happy to do waste for over 2 minutes and rinse for over 1 minute. It got it back to normal level only to have a down pour and added 3/4" back into the pool..

:brickwall: I would've bet there was a problem with one of those laterals. Well, watch it for the next day or so and let us know if the work you did resolved the blow-by issue. Maybe you took care of something without even realizing it. Or, perhaps it's the spider gasket? If not, continue with that sock trick at a return to see if you can pinpoint what that stuff is.

Well 3 days later my pool floor is still clean besides the normal stuff like bugs, frogs, and leaves. Seems allot clearer too.. Just got my DE powder today. Will add some using the link supplied above.. Thanks again

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.