Another Algae Bloom

Re: Algae Bloom, CYA and Trichlor tabs

Thanks so much everyone. I'm going to buy a sump pump today and drain 1/3 of the pool, refill with water and test again.

I'm also done with Trichlor. I'd rather add chlorine stabilizer on my own as needed. This was a big mess that could've been avoided. I'll be switching my pool to liquid bleach tomorrow and following the SLAM procedure.

Does any liquid bleach work? Can I buy generic or bulk from Costco? Is there anywhere to get a good deal on bulk?

I can't thank you guys enough. You've been so much help.

Go to Costco, buy the 3-jug boxes of regular Chlorox bleach they got. That's what I use and it works beautifully.

High CYA

My CYA has been off the charts. I have the TF-100 and it was so high, I couldn't even get an accurate reading. It must've been almost 200.

I blame Leslie's Pool Store and the amount of trichlor they had me adding. Silly me for even listening.

I'm now draining my pool for the 3rd time!!! It read somewhere in between 90-100 last time. I'm only draining it by a foot or so each tim, as I don't want to rip the liner.

How long could this take? I'm going crazy right now.

Thanks!

Re: High CYA

By only going a foot or so at a time, it will seem like forever. But you must've put a dent in the original number by getting down below 100. At least get it close to the 50-60 range and you can manage the rest of the swimming season with that. Good luck!

You can do the 50/50 dilution method for testing cya to get a better picture of where you are. Readings near or at 100 can actually be much higher. Mine was actually 350...

WOW! How did you find out that it was that high? I really hope that mine isn't higher than I thought.

Is the 50/50 dilution method just draining it 50% and refilling? How far can I drain without damaging the lining?

Thanks!

CYA Dilution Testing:
Add pool water to bottom of sticker.
Add tap water to top of sticker.
Shake.
Pour out half so mixture is to bottom of sticker.
Add reagent to top of sticker.
Shake.
Test outside with back to sun and tube at waist level.
Pour back and forth a few times to see if you get the same result.
Double the result.

CYA Dilution Testing:
Add pool water to bottom of sticker.
Add tap water to top of sticker.
Shake.
Pour out half so mixture is to bottom of sticker.
Add reagent to top of sticker.
Shake.
Test outside with back to sun and tube at waist level.
Pour back and forth a few times to see if you get the same result.
Double the result.

Thanks a ton! Just did it and got a reading of 50. So, yes it is around 100. I'm draining as we speak. Gonna try to lower it more than a foot this time and see what happens. I hope this is it.

I just want to get my pool switched over to BBB. Dealing with Leslie's has been a nightmare.

I'm over this.

I drained and refilled twice more. Took a CYA test and it read over 100. Took a 2nd CYA test using the 50/50 dilution method and it read around 60. Would the 2 methods differ that much in reading?

Disclaimer: It's around 11pm here and I took the test inside using indoor lighting. I probably should've waited until the sun came out to get an accurate read.

My sump pump is slow. Refilling the pool takes forever. Haha.

I'm frustrated. Back at it tomorrow am. Lucky that I work from home this week.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, yes, need bright light for that test. 80 is manageable because it allows you to safely keep FC below 10 so you can test PH. [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] FC must stay above minimum for your CYA at all times to keep the pool safe, sanitary and algae free. The PH test is not valid when FC is above 10 ppm.

Ok. Got the CYA balanced and took a test. Here are the results:

CYA- 50
FC- 1.5
CC- 1.5
TA-80
pH- 7.0?

Thoughts. I balance pH first correct? I've never messed with alkalinity.

Guess that I'll read the slam procedure tonight. Got my bleach ready!

I see a question mark after 7.0. What does that mean?

If you're sure it's 7.0, that's close enough to start the SLAM. If you want to be "to the letter", raise it to 7.2, but 7.0 isn't going to hurt anything.

To raise it to 7.2, add 1/2 lb of soda ash (washing soda).

I use the TF-100. I wasn't able to match up the color exactly on the ph side. It seemed to be somewhere in between 6.8-7.2, closer to 7.2.

I read the slam procedure and used the pool calculator. I'll be adding 230 oz of bleach tomorrow AM.

The article explains to slowly add it in front of a return jet. Dumb question....how slowly? Is 2 gallons a 5 minute pour, 10 minute pour or 30 minute pour?

Thanks.

Also, what do I do after adding chlorine?

The article says to check the chlorine levels every few hours and add chlorine as necessary. Why would I need to add more chlorine? I thought the point was to let the chlorine levels rise and then naturally lower.

I'm still confused.

Slowly is usually about a pencil sized stream in front of a return. Watch the bleach as it disperses in the water you want to pour slowly enough to that it disperses and doesn't sink to the bottom.

The M in SLAM is for maintain. Maintain FC at shock level until the three criteria are met. Read this, SLAM Process

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.