ground prep problem during instal

Jul 13, 2016
Creston, Iowa
I am a newbie and my husband and I purchased a 18x33x54 above ground pool. The pool is warranted to be placed in the ground up to half height. We dug out our spot and it is 27" deep at 1 end and 15" on the other. Everything was going fine, being in Iowa our soil in this particular spot is very clay-like. Mixture of black dirt and a lot of clay. It rained recently before we could place the uprights in and start placing our pavers so we are at a stand still build wise. Our concern is if anyone has any advise regarding the moist ground we now have on the surface. My husband is concerned that the ground will settle and compromise the pool, what if we added some sand to the dirt on the bottom to help solidify the ground and settle in to dirt to help absorb some of the moisture as it is drying?

Do not proceed until that ground is dry. Clay is a monster when wet. You can't even walk on it without it caking around your boots, creating cement shoes when they dry. Just leave it. Don't add any sand. It won't help. Once you're dry and your post pavers and straps are set, then you can add sand and proceed with the wall installation.

Welcome to TFP.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.