Lower cya

If your pool has an auto-drain then rain will overfill and it will drain some. Splashout will drain some. Buying a cheap utility pump @ Harbor Freight and draining a little bit at a time will help too. A few smaller drains will not risk your pool integrity, but there's a couple considerations.

1. Make sure if it's super hot where you are, keep your plaster wet.
2. When you drain below the skimmer line you might need to make sure your pool pump is off to prevent sucking in air into the return lines. That could overheat pumps possibly depending on your setup.
3. If you have a spa built into your pool, which water is fed into the spa and trickles down to the pool, you can try draining it, as a small container of a few hundred gallons at a time.

Just make sure you're not adding additional CYA with pucks, powered shock, etc, so the problem doesn't increase.

Also, the chem geeks on the site have largely discovered that things like BioActive CYA reducer don't work, waste money, and possibly cause side issues with ammonia.

I was at 220 CYA, did a 50% drain, filled it back up, and let it trickle down from 110 > 60 by a few months of rain overflow drain offs / splash outs.

Hope this helps.

drain pool

I was draining my pool to lower the Cya and I have a small pump that's probably taken an inch the entire day. I have a cartridge filter and was thinking if I could turn on the drain on bottom of the pool and open the valve on the side of filter to help drain water faster. I don't know if there will be any side effects of doing so. Also I was going to turn off the small pump later and the water is bellow the skimmer is there any side effects of leaving it (partially empty) like that overnight?

Re: drain pool

You sure can. When you have an operative main drain, you can pull water from there when it gets below the skimmer. An ability I do not currently have. :( So as you pull water from the drain, you can hopefully "push" returned water from a different outlet. If you have a drain from the filter housing, that will work, although some of those outlets are fairly small. You could also try hooking-up a PVC extension/elbow from the return jet(s) to push water from there as well. I have a 2" stub-out from when my pool was built (for a water feature/fountain) so that's my easy water escape/drainage.

Just be careful leaving anything on overnight so you don't go any lower than originally planned. And as we always say here, never go lower than about 12" or below the lowest step to maintain the integrity of your pool shell and help keep the liner nice & tight.

Water jets out of water

Im draining my pool through the main drain and out of a drain on my cartridge filter. The jets will still be running and are about to go over the water level. Does that pose any problem or is that fine?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: Water jets out of water

That's fine Pete.

Pete, you'll notice above I combined your two threads to keep everything together since this was all related to the same issue. I also moved the entire thread to a different forum "Testing & Balancing Your water" as it fit better than the "Pumping Station".

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.