Slamming my pool help please

Hi! Dom has you well covered with doing the SLAM. I just wanted to jump in to say if you use Pool Math and listen to Dom and follow the directions in the SLAM article you will have a clear pool. It will be clearer than it ever has been before. It will take some time and care but it can be done and it is worth it.

You do not have to use quotes to reply to anything on this thread. You can if you want to help you keep track of what you want to say but this is YOUR thread and if you keep all of your info and questions on here everyone will be know the subject and what has been done and needs to be done.

Keep up the SLAM using Pool Math. That will save you some money and effort. Test as often as you can. During the work week you should try to at least 4 times......morning, right when you come home, after dinner, right before bed. On days you do not have to work try for every 2 or 3 hours. After a while you will see the FC use will go down. That is when you know you are beating whatever is in your pool.

:hug: We got ya!

Kim:cat:

Sorry I want to do the slamming but I need to know that you will help me through it all.
first I need to fill my pool to the top, vacuum, then test, add only what the pool math says. Wait one hour or 30 minutes?
and retest. Add what pool math says again keeping FC at 20 for the slam....do I test anything else besides my FC and CYA? Where does the CYA need to stay during this process? 30-50. Sorry for all the questions oh what do I do if it is raining during this time?

Thanks for all of your help

Hi! Dom has you well covered with doing the SLAM. I just wanted to jump in to say if you use Pool Math and listen to Dom and follow the directions in the SLAM article you will have a clear pool. It will be clearer than it ever has been before. It will take some time and care but it can be done and it is worth it.

You do not have to use quotes to reply to anything on this thread. You can if you want to help you keep track of what you want to say but this is YOUR thread and if you keep all of your info and questions on here everyone will be know the subject and what has been done and needs to be done.

Keep up the SLAM using Pool Math. That will save you some money and effort. Test as often as you can. During the work week you should try to at least 4 times......morning, right when you come home, after dinner, right before bed. On days you do not have to work try for every 2 or 3 hours. After a while you will see the FC use will go down. That is when you know you are beating whatever is in your pool.

:hug: We got ya!

Thanks Kimkats, I do not work and I want to start this process Monday. Will it be alright to start in the morning or night?
can I get emails to let me know you all have sent me a message? Thanks again Gotta get ready for church

Sorry I want to do the slamming but I need to know that you will help me through it all.
first I need to fill my pool to the top, vacuum, then test, add only what the pool math says. Wait one hour or 30 minutes?
and retest. Add what pool math says again keeping FC at 20 for the slam....do I test anything else besides my FC and CYA? Where does the CYA need to stay during this process? 30-50. Sorry for all the questions oh what do I do if it is raining during this time?

Thanks for all of your help
It sounds like you are catching on, great!

To get your pool ready to SLAM, let's get a full set of current readings. Before we start we want to have your PH at 7.2, and we need an accurate CYA level so we use the correct shock level. Ideally we want your CYA at 30ppm for the SLAM, but let's see where you now are first.

Once we get the SLAM going, we will just check FC & CC, and dose as needed to keep the FC at shock level. We can start with checking an hour after adding to get a feel for how much FC you are losing.

We are here to help, ask any questions you may have. As mentioned, this is your thread.

I've been working a lot, and the weekend has been very busy, but I'll check in as often as I can.

Dom

You can get emails sent. Setting-upper right, general settings-middle left, Default Thread Subscription Mode-towards middle of the page, drop down arrow and set it to how you want to be notified.

You can and should start the SLAM tonight if at all possible. If you cannot you should start in the morning. The sooner you start, the sooner you will be done.

I just wanted to add that you should be certain you have enough FC testing reagents before you start your SLAM.

Nothing worse than running out in the middle of it all.

You are going to want to stock up a bit on chlorine as well.

Let us know when you are ready to go and we will help as much as we can. I work most of the day, but will check in when I can.

Dom

HEllo Dom or PAGIRL,

Just wanted to let both of you know I will begin SLAMing in the morning and I will send you my totals....
i am going to do this starting Day 1 you all pray for me I am going to need it, I can do this!!!

i will check it often and add all day....
Thank you both

I just wanted to add that you should be certain you have enough FC testing reagents before you start your SLAM.

Nothing worse than running out in the middle of it all.

You are going to want to stock up a bit on chlorine as well.

Let us know when you are ready to go and we will help as much as we can. I work most of the day, but will check in when I can.

Dom

Dom, I should have enough hope so, I just purchased the Taylor k-2006c and I went and bought 15 gallons of bleach, borax, baking soda and muriatic acid. So I am set and ready to go.

i am going to set up a email so I know when I get messages from you.

I had ask about the pool math I understand the boxes I just do not know what I need to put as my goal in the second box.
FC-?, PH-?, TA-?, CH-? & CYA-? Also am I suppose to check the Calcium Hardness?

plan to get on the train in the morning:). See ya then

Dom, I should have enough hope so, I just purchased the Taylor k-2006c and I went and bought 15 gallons of bleach, borax, baking soda and muriatic acid. So I am set and ready to go.

i am going to set up a email so I know when I get messages from you.

I had ask about the pool math I understand the boxes I just do not know what I need to put as my goal in the second box.
FC-?, PH-?, TA-?, CH-? & CYA-? Also am I suppose to check the Calcium Hardness?

plan to get on the train in the morning:). See ya then

This Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry gives you the basics of the chemistry. This Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart tells you what you should aim for based on your CYA.

Don't forget to adjust your PH to the lower end, between 7.2 and 7.5. (Testing PH when your FC is above 10 is unreliable).

Good luck! I work in the A.M., I'll check in at lunchtime to see how it's going. Might be able to check in a little in the morning now and then.

This Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry gives you the basics of the chemistry. This Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart tells you what you should aim for based on your CYA.

Don't forget to adjust your PH to the lower end, between 7.2 and 7.5. (Testing PH when your FC is above 10 is unreliable).

Good luck! I work in the A.M., I'll check in at lunchtime to see how it's going. Might be able to check in a little in the morning now and then.

Hi,

Thanks, I did not get to add water today so I will add in the morning I hope early. PAGIRL or DOM my pool is clear it is beautiful since I started the BBB. should I vacuum to waste and fill pool back up before I start my SLAMing?
how do I post pictures?
thanks again

ps will send totals in the morning. Thanks my new family:)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry it took so long to reply, working some crazy shifts this week. Yes I see your levels in your post.

A SLAM takes as long as needed to kill whatever is consuming your chlorine. While the water may look clear, if you cannot maintain a FC level there is something organic being oxidized, most likely algae spores and bacteria/virus cells.

To keep the time to complete the SLAM as short as possible, it will require that you test and dose chlorine as often as possible to maintain your shock level FC, this could mean once an hour at the start to get your FC to hold. After that first day you should notice that you can go farther between doses. A SLAM is complete when you lose less than 1ppm of FC overnight, your CC is 0.5ppm or less, and the water is clear of any algae, dead or alive.

The SLAM also requires that your filter run 24/7 during the SLAM.

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

As as far as pool math is concerned, if you refer to the pic I posted you will see that I put your pool's water capacity in gallons in the box at the top left, in the 'size' section. Directly below that is the FC section. The box on the left (the 'now' column) is where you would enter your current FC result (in the picture I entered 0). In the box directly next to it (the target column) you enter your target FC (in the picture I entered 20, your shock level). To the right of that box is where pool math will tell you how much chlorine to add, but be sure to enter the proper chlorine concentration (in the pic I entered 10 for the trade %). In the pic I posted this worked out to 384oz.

In my post yesterday at 11:51am I gave you the amount of chlorine needed to raise your pool 1ppm (19oz). If your SLAM shock level is 20ppm, and you get 8ppm from your test, you need to add 12ppm to get back to shock level (20ppm target minus the 8ppm reading = 12ppm to add). This will require 228oz of chlorine (19oz X 12ppm = 228oz of chlorine needed, about 1-3/4 gallons).

I hope this helps,
Dom

July 11, 2016
i have vacuum my pool and filled up with water and tested here are my totals. I need to go ahead and add the muriatic acid. How long do I need to wait to retest the PH?

TOTALS

FC-0
CC-0
PH-8.0
TA-140
CH-190
CYA-30

okay I am fixing to add my muriatic acid and this is what pool path tod me
57 oz
which is 1 quart and plus 25 oz

for my FC it is telling me 444 oz using 8.25 bleach

i am in the process of doing this I need to get it done, hope this is correct....
Going to add my muriatic acid.

Thanks

I just ran your numbers through pool math. Seeing that you report a CYA of 30ppm, your shock level for the SLAM is 12ppm per the Chlorine / CYA chart

If I enter 0 ppm in the 'FC Now' box, & 12ppm in the 'FC Goal' box I get 267oz of 8.25%. Every 22.5oz of 8.25% chlorine will raise the FC 1ppm (12 X 22.5 = 270).

If you had originally calculated for 20ppm then it would have been 444oz.

If you are using 31.45% (20 Baume) then the 57oz is correct for the muriatic acid. Good job!

Give the muriatic acid a good 30 minutes to thoroughly mix before you test or add chlorine.

You are off to a great start! You will be so pleased with your pool when we are done!

Now once you have your pH at about 7.2 you can start SLAMming. Check FC as often as you can to keep it at or a couple of ppm above 12ppm (per the Chlorine / CYA chart) for your CYA of 30ppm.

Be sure to have the filter/pump running 24/7 now, and brush when you can.

I'll check back in later tonight after I get out of work.

BTW- for safety DO NOT store the chlorine & muriatic acid in the same place. If the two should mix (even just the fumes) it will create a very toxic gas. Some containers are vented and may allow some fumes to escape. I keep my chlorine in the house & my muriatic acid in the shed, away from the power equipment.

Dom

We will just focus on FC & CC during the SLAM.

It is safe to swim if your FC it at or below shock level, and you can see the bottom of the deepest part of the pool, god forbid someone is in distress.

Ask as many questions as needed, we want you to get this right as well.

Dom

Thanks i know I am asking alot of questions but I want to do this right and it is hot out here.

Do I need to check my cya during slamming?

When can you swim?

Thanks
It's better to ask a question and get it right. Some things are only fixed by draining the pool. For adding a picture, you can upload the picture to a site like Photobucket, click on the picture, then copy th "IMG" code, then paste it into your post on Trouble Free Pool.

Dom,

i have been been sending my goals yesterday all day. Have you got them?
i notice you said you were checking in to see how it was going I was hoping you'd tell me.

where is my totals going are you all getting them?

Thanks

please let me know

progress great overnight. I went from having zero to 8.0. Great. So I lost 3 ppm

- - - Updated - - -

It's better to ask a question and get it right. Some things are only fixed by draining the pool. For adding a picture, you can upload the picture to a site like Photobucket, click on the picture, then copy th "IMG" code, then paste it into your post on Trouble Free Pool.

I have goole photos.
Have you been seeing my totals?
Thanks

Dom,

i have been been sending my goals yesterday all day. Have you got them?
i notice you said you were checking in to see how it was going I was hoping you'd tell me.

where is my totals going are you all getting them?

Thanks

please let me know

progress great overnight. I went from having zero to 8.0. Great. So I lost 3 ppm

- - - Updated - - -

I have goole photos.
Have you been seeing my totals?
Thanks
Haven't seen a post from you since 3pm yesterday, which agrees with your forum activity. That is why I asked.

Are you also on another forum?

Dom

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.