New Pool IG - Inland Empire, CA - Pool finished, end pix soon!

Re: New Pool - Inland Empire, CA - Dig day #2!

Rancho Cucamonga actually. Quite a ways up against the mountains so this was expected. It was expected by us, and the PB, but I guess not the dig team. They're gettin' down there, so, all is well imo. I was expecting a 3 day dig and it's looking to be about 2.5-3. We'll have a lot of rocks to put around the property after this hehe.

Looking at the front of the range there and the views are fantastic (I've become jaded to them). But yes, the winds can be HORRIBLE. 98% of the year it's quite nice, but those couple of weeks a year... I pretty much don't sleep several nights. We can have sustained 60mph with 80mph (and higher) gusts.

Our perimeter wall is actually engineered a bit more than a standard wall because of this. They built homes and walls up here years ago before this build and the winds came through and blew the block walls over.

Temecula has some tasty wines. I got a QUESTION below (check the 4th pic)

But, on to more of those in-depth photos!

P7130215-1.jpg

With all the other little things done, they focused on digging and moving dirt for the rest of the day. They took out... I think 7 loads.

P7130208-1.jpg

This is the 3rd daily pic, check my sig to see the ongoing transformation.

P7130220-1.jpg

It's a bit hard to see (of course the ditch witch was in the way) but the forms for the tiered planters are off center. Note how the raised wood form in front of the planter boxes is not centered from the woodform on the bottom of the pic. We sent an email to the PB to mention it and will verify they're in the right place 'directly across from the apogee of the kidney bean shape' when the rebar goes in.

P7130218-1.jpg

QUESTION- So, it's difficult to make out depths with the lighting, but this is the spa (which is dug to level) and you can get a good idea of the ~42" of stacked stone that will face it. Behind the spa (top center of the pic between the two planter boxes) is the curved form where the jumping rock will go. We may make this wall straight but we're still debating. Concerning the jumping rock, the top of it will be flush with the patio 6" below the spa coping, and then it will hang off and have a bit of a vertical 'face' to it where that curved piece of wood is. Our question is, for a large chunk of granite... how do they mount it? Is it set by the gunite guys, set by the stone guys? Will it 'sit' on top of the gunite wall? We've asked our PB but wanted to hear some input from you guys.

P7130223-1.jpg

Again hard to tell depth due to the colors, but the hole is about ~6ft... so that's the depth of the deep end, I supposed they go down another ~1.5ft?

P7130227-1.jpg

Aaaand last but not least, a Benya sighting!

Good job on taking notes and following it step by step. The tier one is one to make sure of BEFORE they do the rebar. I wonder if they will paint it to help you see what they are planning.

They have made a LOT of progress for sure!

Banya! Hi kitty! Are you having fun checking it all out? Does he go up to the workers and try to help? I had one I had to bring inside when they put our roof on as he climbed the ladder and what helping LOL. When he got inside the attic when they took a piece of plywood off. They asked me to bring him inside so he did not get trapped. When they had it all sealed up they asked for him to come back out to help LOL

Kim:cat:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: New Pool - Inland Empire, CA - Dig day #3!

We're keeping a fair amount of the boulders to place around in the planters and property. The rest all go out with the dirt to the dump per our digger. It's going to a place about ~12mi a way and I think it may actually be a gravel yard or even a large commercial site they're backfilling for future construction.

Mid day update-

P7140234-1.jpg

Hole is pretty much finished, they're working on some edges by hand. Here you can see the jumping rock being placed up so it can eventually go in place to the right of the spa.

Rebar guy is showing up tomorrow morning. We'll have to chat with him about the forms as the seat is dug off center and the baja reef is not per updated drawings. (amazes me that even though I emailed her updated drawings with concepts weeks ago, the PB forgot to add them to the plans etc.) No worries though, as far as I know, what matters is the rebar shape (and of course the gunite).

Awesome and wow...never seen so much buried rock.

Which just made me think...what if someone was excavating for a new pool and gold was discovered?? hehhee

I had some spare time, so I figured I'd share the presumptive TILE AND STACKED STONE picks!

Tile- Ridgeline Blue Slate

RLN_BLUESLATE_2-1.jpg

It comes in a few different designs (prints) but we think it will go well between the water (though we're looking for a lighter colored plaster) and the gray/orangeish stone we're looking at.

Stacked Stone- East West Autumn Rose (classic edge)

ClassicLedgeAR031480x315-1.jpg

This is the stacked stone we've been pretty set on for years. The spa will be walled with this so will be a ~3.5ft round wall of it below the spa against the pool, so quite a statement. (ignore the caps)

We're still looking at coping options but it will be a flagstone (that's what the company includes). We're going to ride them like a hog at a fair to make sure the edges are CLEAN and as smooth as humanly possible. We're currently eyeing a quartzite flagstone...

Thoughts?

Re: New Pool - Inland Empire, CA - Dig done! (check out tile/stone!)

Hokay, final dig update-

P7140246-1.jpg

Lookin' good from the balcony. It's amazing how you can't really perceive the depth until you're standing in it with your head below the wood strip.

P7140263-1.jpg

A hiccup with the diggers is they ran over and crushed/buried our drain/s. This one was completely impacted and I had to dig it out. I ran a hose for a bit down the different drains, they flow just fine, there's a few rocks tumbling around in there, but nothing a good storm shouldn't move I'd assume. We'll mention it to the PB (personally I'm upset because I mentioned it as it initially happened on the 1st day to the dig contractor owner (a hotshot guy who never shook our hand) and he said "Eh, don't worry about it"). No worries though really. It flows, but boy it better not have any large rocks in it that will block flow because it's the main drainage off the property.

P7140260-1.jpg

Benya was rather odd this afternoon... he refused to step into the backyard and instead stayed on the patio and glared at us.

P7140261-1.jpg

Our wall solution for the next 6-5 weeks. We're those neighbors for the time being. Personally I think it's fine... plus it looks great from the street side :p

Tomorrow is the rebar guy. Our PB never got back to our email stating the centering of the rear wall and the proper design of the baja reef so we'll take it up with the rebar guy.

If you made it this far, check out the tile and stacked stone (above or sig)!

Cheers!

Well that impacted drain is no problem for HIM! He does not live there so...........Yeah you need it to be cleared out and now. You and I both know all of those little rocks will some together to form a big rock aka blockage!

Let us know how the rebar goes. Stand firm in what you want.

Benya? Buddy? What is up? Why so mad?

Kim:cat:

Will keep that in mind Kim.

Had a bit of a discussion with the rebar guys, they didn't have a problem with the centering of the planter wall, but they wanted to verify with the boss man. ~45 mins later we're all smiles and they are too and they shifted the planter walls 2.5ft to the West (right). They called our PB and we spoke with her, said how we mentioned this to her in email on Wednesday and she apologized but said we'll have to work with someone else as she's getting an operation. We can't figure out why if you're getting an operation you wouldn't #1) make proper plans to have someone fill in for you and #2) answer your emails on Wed and Thurs (when you specifically told us you would until Thurs). BUT, whatever, hope her operation goes well, and we're making sure that the planter wall is in its proper place.

One thing that did iff me a bit, was that when we talked about the planter and seat being centered etc., she quickly said "Well, maybe you can move the light off center instead". She has been getting on my nerves a tad and the little things like that don't help.

With all that, they're out there bending rebar and moving forward :-D

We'll be mentioning and showing the photos of the impacted drain... so perhaps our PB can look at them after her operation.

Wow! What a dig! It may not be bedrock, but still a big job. I LOVE your tile and stacked stone choices! That's a huge statement from me, because those aren't the colors I usually go for. Your selection is stunning to me! I can't wait to see them in place on your pool. I don't know, and admittedly I'm not great at design and color combos, but a medium or medium to dark plaster getting closer to the blue in the tile might really carry out your bold selection of colors and complete that "quite a statement" you mentioned. I've seen something similar on one of the build threads, but for the life of me, I can't remember what thread it was. It was a jaw dropper.

It would have been nice if the diggers had placed utility-type flags where your drains are. You know they'd never be that careless if it were their dig in their backyard!

Poor Benya! We went through similar stages with our outdoor kitty, Killer. Some days, he wouldn't even show up. But when he would show up, he stomped around the yard and gave us you-know-what sort of looks. He still isn't thrilled with the cement pond in HIS backyard.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.