Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rabbits in Pool - Help!

1. Back To Top    #1

Rabbits in Pool - Help!

First time pool owner and recently moved into an area that apparently has lots of wildlife. Have found two baby rabbits dead in the pool (one in the skimmer basket) and thankfully my wife saw neither. She's a big animal lover and it would break her heart to see this. I've buried them in the backyard but would like to know if anyone here has any idea's what to do (short of getting an $800 cover for it) to keep the critters out of there? I don't mind the ocassional frogs and other things I have to scoop out but the baby rabbits are very distrubing.

Thanks All!
    20k inground vinyl oval, Hayward super pump 1.5 HP, Pacvac 36 DE filter, Hayward inline chlorinator, Brand new liner 2009. 1st pool ever owned.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rabbits in Pool - Help!

Welcome to TFP!

Pools do tend to attract small mammals. You need to give them some way to climb out of the pool. Something like the Skamper Ramp would allow most of them to save themselves.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Just went to the website to order this. Good call and thanks for the great suggestion! Can't say I am crazy about bolting something down to the ground but it will be worth it if these guys can find their way out of the pool and not drown anymore.

Thanks again!

D
    20k inground vinyl oval, Hayward super pump 1.5 HP, Pacvac 36 DE filter, Hayward inline chlorinator, Brand new liner 2009. 1st pool ever owned.

4. Back To Top    #4

have you thought about putting up a baby gate/fence? I've never seen a baby rabbit in the water, would they be able to find or get to a ramp? a baby fence may add value to your pool also. it is a lot more expensive of course.
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

5. Back To Top    #5

I did think it might be an issue for the them to get to the ramp given the pool is pretty large (28K) but I can't imagine a fence large enough to enclose the pool either. That might be a tad bit overkill for me. I guess I could look into it and it is a good idea.

Thanks!

6. Back To Top    #6

what about placing rabbit/deer plastic netting at the bottome of your pool fence that you would put around a garden?
    28,000 gallon gunite/white plaster with 30ft RBB and 2ft sheer descent, 100 sq ft thermaledge, 50sq ft spa w/ 6 jets
    2HP Jandy pump, 60sq ft Jandy DE filter, 400,000 BTU Jandy LX Nat Gas Heater, 2 Jandy color lights + Jandy color spa light, Jandy Aqualink RS6, Jandy AquaPure 1400