Pentair SuperFlo VS pump "Absolute Phase Current Limit Exceeded."

Aug 3, 2015
Orlando/Florida
My Pentair Superflo VS pump now shuts itself down when I try to start it. When I press start, it shows the program start time, then it says PRIME, then it fails with a flashing code "0002." The manual states that this is "Absolute Phase Current Limit Exceeded." I pressed stop, opened the CB and waited an hour. Restored power, pressed start, and got the same error code.

Anyone know what this means?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Tom

Tom ... Not sure if you pump voltage is 120 of 240 ... but I'd first verify that my connections at the pump and load center(breaker panel) are secure and tight. Follow these procedures:

1) switch off the pump breaker - Note the type: a single pole breaker is 120V; a double pole break is 240V;
2) unscrew the top cover of the pump and verify that all the wires are properly landed on the terminal and the screws are tight;
3) if you have a DVM switch the breaker back on and verify voltage 120V or 240V at the terminal connections
4) the reattach the top cover;

If you found any loose connections power re-test the pump.
If not, then if you feel comfortable with working inside a Electrical Panel .... proceed with caution ....:

1) verify the the pump breaker is off;
2) remove the screws holding the panels dead front (cover) ... securely hold the dead front so it doesn't fall;
3) once all the screws have been removed carefully lift-off the cover;
4) inspect the pump breaker for any loose wire(s)
--- if the pump is 120V you'll have a single pole breaker with 1 hot wire;
--- if 240V you'll have a double pole breaker with 2 hot wires;
--- if you have a GFI breaker it will have an additional White Neutral wire from the pump and a hardwired White wire from the molded case going to the Neutral Bus;
5) without touching any of the other breaker wires - verify that the wires on the pump breaker are landed correctly and are tightly screwed down;
6) replace the dead front cover and screws ... be careful setting the cover over the breakers and have the screws within reach before lifting the cover in place.
7) switch the pump break back on and re-test the pump.

Post the results here and any pictures of the pump's terminal connectors and breaker wiring. How old is this pump? Pump might have a internal problem and shuts itself down long before the breaker can trip. You could verify this with a clamp-on Amp meter. The Time/Trip function of a circuit breaker is defined by its "Trip Curve". For example: if you have 30-40 amp load on a 20A breaker ... it won't trip the breaker instantaneously. But apply an overload of 125% of the breakers rating and it will trip instantaneously.

TJ

Tom,

Did some additional research and it appears that you might have either a Drive Controller Problem or a the Motor has a Internal Phase/Winding Problem.

Check your warranty registration card and see if your covered. If you never registered the pump ... you can try doing it online at Pentair or by downloading the Card at::

http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/LimitedWarrantyCard.pdf

They require that the pump be registered within sixty(60) days of installation and be installed by a PB or Pool Company. Looks like your model has a basic warranty period of 2 years and a extended warranty period of 3 years. Good Luck.

Last edited:
TJ,

Thanks for the help!

The pump is 240 volts, and that's what I get at the pump connections. Also, from ground screw to either power connection I get the expected 120 volts. All the connections inside the breaker box are in excellent condition as well.

At the moment I'm digging through my files for the pump paperwork. Seems to me it's about two years old...

Tom

After a LONG... time on the phone with tech support, I gave up on them.

I started thinking that rather than a permanent condition like a blown diode or something, maybe the error 0002 (current limit exceeded) was actually re-occurring each time I attempted to start the pump. What could cause this? My first thought was that something was preventing the shaft/impeller from rotating. The motor would exert its maximum torque and the amperage draw would increase until it exceeded max amps and the error 00002 terminated the start process.

The rear end of the pump has an opening that looked like an allen wrench would fit. I tried it and it would only turn a bit each way. After removing the front half of the pump case to expose the impeller I found what appeared to be a short heavily rusted nail. After removing this, the shaft now spun freely, and the pump works perfectly!

Hopefully this will help anyone who experiences the same issue.

Thanks to all who responded!

Tom

After a LONG... time on the phone with tech support, I gave up on them.

I started thinking that rather than a permanent condition like a blown diode or something, maybe the error 0002 (current limit exceeded) was actually re-occurring each time I attempted to start the pump. What could cause this? My first thought was that something was preventing the shaft/impeller from rotating. The motor would exert its maximum torque and the amperage draw would increase until it exceeded max amps and the error 00002 terminated the start process.

The rear end of the pump has an opening that looked like an allen wrench would fit. I tried it and it would only turn a bit each way. After removing the front half of the pump case to expose the impeller I found what appeared to be a short heavily rusted nail. After removing this, the shaft now spun freely, and the pump works perfectly!

Hopefully this will help anyone who experiences the same issue.

Thanks to all who responded!

Tom

Thank you for your time posting your comment, I was about to panic having to deal with maker and retailer where I got my Pentair SuperFlow.
My pump did not have a nail like yours but it was sand that locked the impeller, I did not have to take the pump apart I just shot down the power at the breaker panel, released the water pressure at the filter, removed the pump strainer lid and with my hand/fingers I reached the impeller thru the strainer chamber and I was able break away the sand from the propeller and making sure I could feel the impeller free to turn on both directions. After putting everything back together I fired up the pump and away it went with no problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.