Greetings from Pittsburgh, nikolai1988 here.

Jul 3, 2016
Pittsburgh
Hello everyone, I just bought a new home in Pittsburgh. I am a firefighter for the city of Pittsburgh. It is an old pool, how old? I'm not sure. I have many questions to ask, for now though, I just wanted to say hello and before I even registered I already learned a lot from this site. Cheers!

Hey there Nikolai- welcome to TFP :)

Some Stanley Cup win, huh? I know all you Pittsburgh folks are happy.

Got any pics of your pool you want to share? We may be able to identify mystery parts or something for ya.....

Yes, the pens did it big this year. I am stuck at the firehouse for 24 hours, but I am going to try and have the wife take a few pictures of my pool, pump, filter, and skimmer. I have a few questions that I can't find answers to anywhere!

I will give you guys some background info on the pool, at least what I know. I bought the house from a friend, he bought it in 2005 and the pool has been there much longer than that I assume. It is a 15x30 in ground solid concrete pool. He had it repainted last year with an expensive coating, $4000 it cost him. The only plumbing inside the pool is the main drain. The skimmer and pump outlet drop over the side and are pvc pipes. The pump is a Hayward, and the filter is a DE filter. I'm still waiting on pics from the wife to upload. My first question is going to be about the plumbing because I hate the fact that it drops over the side and I wonder if it would be possible to add a skimmer to the side of the pool, and an outlet or 2 without paying an arm and a leg...

56a3387d5b044010fa149121a9b31658.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It is hard to imagine what is possible, not seeing the entire back yard? Is there an area that you could move the mechanicals to? If you couldn't or chose not to change the way its rigged up (over the wall) is there not a better place to put it so that its out of the way?

94522912ea9791069374c4d617663dcd.jpg
de7b21a82e0f2509cb0e34d9965b2fea.jpg
baa0b81a012eb27f1c05582e012ae0fb.jpg

So I have a room off my basement that is approximately 6x10 where all of the pool stuff including the pump is stored in the winter. Would it be possible to store the pump in there permanently. It would technically be inside my house but it is an unfinished part of the basement that is only used for pool stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One option is to keep the pump/filter and over-the-side pipes set up as they are, but moved over to the far left edge corner next to that chain link fence. That area looks to be the most out of the way, would free up the space under the deck/stairs and be most cost efficient.

I can't advise about the basement option, I'm sorry. Someone with basement experience might know more about safety and that option. I hope they see your post and add their 2 cents....

Yip :flower: