How much and how often to shock a SWG pool

Jun 30, 2016
Lebanon, TN
I have a 28,000 Salt Water pool. I had some big rips in my cover so for the first time since switching to salt I had a dirty pool when I opened. I was using the shock from lowes but my chlorine level wasn't reaching the proper level. The pool store told me I needed their shock because it had higher chlorine levels (99% vs 50% in the clorox shock at lowes). I assumed they were just giving me a line to sell stuff but I had a pool party planned for our young adult life group at church and needed it sanitary. Their shock worked but it's 30 bucks. What shock SHOULD I buy or if using bleach, how much do I use for a shock after several people swim? Thank you.

Okay, I don't have a problem per say, my water looks fantastic, my chlorine level was great right before Saturday's pool party. I've just always heard you "shock" after several people swim. So do I need to "slam" if there is not a problem?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and BTW, this is my first time on a forum, so forgive me if I don't always use the right terminology or protocol. Thank you for the quick responses too!

Okay, I don't have a problem per say, my water looks fantastic, my chlorine level was great right before Saturday's pool party. I've just always heard you "shock" after several people swim. So do I need to "slam" if there is not a problem?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and BTW, this is my first time on a forum, so forgive me if I don't always use the right terminology or protocol. Thank you for the quick responses too!
Nope, you are doing wonderful!

No, you don't need to SLAM if there is not a problem. But, we define a problem much different than pool stores. Read through the three articles in Pool School (they go quick) and see what you think.

We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. Should yu decide to follow our methods I would recommend you order a TF100. The only other real option for a test kit is a Taylor K-2006. Be careful comparing prices because the K-2006 comes in sizes, designated by a letter. The basic K-2006 has .75oz bottles. You need to get the K-2006-C to get the larger bottles that you want. Even then it is a little short on the reagent & powder for the FAS/DPD test.

Most people find that they save hundreds of dollars over a pool season following TFP methods rather than the pool store.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.