Mustard algae problem that refuses to go away

paull

Jun 27, 2016
uxbridge, ma.
Hi..............

I'll try to get to the point, but.....there is some history to go over.........

My above-ground pool needed to be replaced last summer because my other one got crushed in the really bad winter of the previous winter :D
The pool store I have used for years put the new pool up......they had been telling me the previous year that I needed to replace my sand, so......when they installed the new pool, I asked that they replace the sand in my Hayward filter. During the initial installation, they "forgot" to replace the sand.......when I pointed that out, they said they would. While I was not home, they say they came back to the house and replaced the sand.

Then.....for the entire summer of 2015 I had mustard algae that would not go away......following their instructions, I shocked and treated with algae chemistry......spending a small fortune and never getting rid of it. I was told that the town added phosphates to the water, which they seemed to claim might be part of my problem. When coming to this site, I immediately noticed that phosphates are NOT a problem, despite what pool stores tell us, which has now made me even more suspicious.

I bought new sand to replace whatever is in my filter, but thought the winter may have killed any algae, so decided to give everything a try, once again.
The problem is now as bad as last year, despite treating the water again.

So.....my questions are, can algae stay permanently embedded in sand and just keep getting put back in the water?? I can't think of any other reason it would keep coming back. And.....can Diatomaceous Earth be used in a "regular" sand filter?? It seems that it can, but I just want to make sure.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me..............I certainly need it!!! :p

Paul

Hi and welcome to TFP

Your sand does not need replacing......remember it was around for millions of years before your filter. You can deep clean your sand filter. Check out this link Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

More importantly, you had/have algae due to improper chlorination of your pool. Take a look at pool school (link above at top of page) and read up on ABC's of pool water chemistry. What we preach isn't about any pool store quick fix or potion for fixing an algae problem overnight but rather proper and accurate testing of your water and solving problems (like algae) with common chemicals like bleach.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.