Rehab project in New Brunswick, Canada

Getting there!

I like the minimal shallow, with more depth design. My first pool was like that.

I like it too... but I can't credit myself with the design.... pool was originally 16x32 and I increased the dimensions to 18x42 by extending the deep end and adding 1' to each side. The shallow end simply stayed as it was... 10' long. I'm very happy with the size of the pool at this stage... deep end has lots of room.

More vermiculite in... but going very slowly with a crew of 1... I'm getting much better at smoothing it out now... I also lost a few of my weekend days to rain and a father/son dirtbike weekend (which was a much needed break).

I've packed some bricks and cinder blocks into the large voids in the walls to take up space... still using ridiculous amounts of vermiculite and portland cement, but on the positive side, it will be good insulation! And the cinder blocks are filled with drainage stone, so the water won't build up behind the walls and push them in like last time.

Had to put a plastic roof over this pour... rain coming later in the evening and all the next day...

Haven't posted much up lately, but the vermiculite is finally done. Going to polish the transitions between the different pours (1 man crew, so a number of joints between vermiculite pours)... I'm using a diamond polishing pad made for concrete polishing, it seems to work very well. Liner has also arrived... now the difficult part... liner installation... in 50 degree weather (at best).

Any pointers for a cold weather liner install?

Can't wait to see this thing turn blue after a summer of mud and rock in the back yard :)

Blue Raleigh/Blue pebble vinyl liner.

53 degrees and sunny forecast here for Wednesday... getting ready to drop the liner... IN NOVEMBER! (I'm in Canada... so we could have snow here anyday now).

I bought a concrete polisher with diamond impregnated resin polishing pads which has worked awesome to smooth out trowel marks and bumps in the vermiculite.... with a 5" wheel it's taken an entire weekend to "polish" the surface area of the pool, but it will be worth it... the bottom is nice and smooth. I've got a few low spots where I need to add more vermiculite, but I'm pretty impressed with how easy it is to blend the transitions between vermiculite pours with this tool.

With any luck, I'll post up some liner install pics by Thursday!

This thing uses a lot of air... and it needs to be very dry air... had my gloves frozen to the polisher a number of time with ice. It also feeds water into the center of the polishing disc to lubricate and wash away the concrete slurry as you work.

Almost there!

Floor is all sanded/polished smooth, with a few patches left that will get done today. Coping/track is installed, wall seams are taped. Wall foam and liner going in on Saturday... 5 degrees above freezing in the forecast... wish me luck :)

Its raining at night in this picture... you can see the reflection of the lights on the hopper wall... not perfectly flat, but it will have to be good enough.

Water is my next challenge... being cheap, I'm planning to fill it from the river just a mile away... using 6 - 1000 litre water totes I'll need to make about 20 trips... this should be interesting. Water delivery is roughly $2000... I can truck it myself for a couple hundred in fuel for the truck and the water pump (I think).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Seems like you're going to be pumping a lot of dirt into the pool by filling it from a river. With just that little bit in the deep end, it looks like there's a lot of dirt settling at the bottom. Are you sure this is the best way to fill your pool? Seems like you're going to have to do a lot of cleaning by the time it's full.

The first load of water was dirty... I'm keeping my suction line off the riverbed for the later trips. In any case, I don't think it will be too difficult to vacuum up the dirt. It will require some backwashing and losing a bit of water... but I'm saving $2000++ on water delivery. So far I don't see any reason not to continue filling it from the river. You can ask me again once I've started treating and balancing ph and chlorine :) I'm going to test the current water chemistry tonight to see where I'm at.... I've got a mix of river water, well water, and brook water in the pool now.

I don't how I missed that MAJOR project! WOW! What a LOT of work you have done to get this monster up and ready for water! POOR back (and shoulders, hands, whole body)!

For the river water if you put a t-shirt or large sock on the end of the hose you might be able catch some of the dirt coming from the river.

Please keep the pictures coming! I can't wait to see the one where everyone is doing a CANNON BALL into the pool!

Kim:kim:

LOL! It's definitely been a lot of work... particularly for a one man crew for the most part... my body has noticed, hopefully it recovers :)

Just tested the water this morning... it's a mix of well water, creek water, and lots of river water...

pH 7.2
TA 210
CH 300

Didn't bother checking chlorine or CYA... don't expect any.

I'd love to hear opinions on what to do with the hardness, I know that my well water is very high... might be best to stop using the well at this point and stick to river water... I know TA is high, but pH is great for a starting point, I'll just keep an eye on it as I get the other numbers in check.

I'll get some tests done on the individual sources as well.

I'll be dumping some bleach and stabilizer in shortly... just getting some filter issues sorted out first (valve is cracked and leaking... new filter coming in the spring)

Cool. Moving that rig must make you feel like a man! I'm guessing that's a little over the stated limit?

Are you filling them with that pitcher?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.