Need help in evaluating my results from my k-2006 kit

Poolal

Jun 22, 2016
Lewisville/NC
I want to start by saying my water is clear but by the CC level it looks like I need a slam but before I do I want to run my numbers by someone with more experience. Here are my results:

TC = 4.0
FC = 3.2
CC = .8
CYA = 70
PH = 7

It looks like I will need to achieve a level of approx 28 shock level for the slam but can someone also tell me how much chlorine will be required for my pools size and results above? I know it's frowned upon to use anything other than bleach or liquid chlorine but could I slam with granular since my ph is so low? Any help is appreciated

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

First, start using 10ml water sample for the FAS-DPD chlorine test and then each drop is 0.5ppm which is plenty precise enough ... saves a lot of reagent.

With clear water, no algae? and just a slightly elevated CC, I am not sure a full on SLAM is needed. I would suggest raising the FC up to at least 10ppm and Perform the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to see if there is something in the pool requiring the SLAM.

You should start using PoolMath to calculate how much of a product you need to add to reach a target.

Why do you think granular chlorine is ok based on your low pH :scratch:
If the granular is dichlor or trichlor, that is actually acidic and will lower your pH AND raise your CYA (which is already a little high).
If it is cal-hypo, then that will add some CH along with the chlorine, but could cause some cloudiness ... although with the lower pH, maybe the cloudiness would be avoided.

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

I'm guessing the pucks along with the cal-hypo is what is also causing my high cya. Should I avoid the pucks all together when chlorination with cal-hypo? I do want to switch to liquid chlorine all together but I've spent so much on this bucket of cal-hypo I feel it's a waste of cash, but then again if it's the root of my CYA issue then maybe I should give it to my neighbor as a gift?

Thanks for the help.. I will continue tonight with raising FC up to at least 10ppm and do the overnight test to see if a full slam is in need. Last question, do you think I should bring the PH up prior to raising the FC and doing the overnight test or should I do this after I get my chlorination levels in check? Thanks again

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Too late Jblizz but you were correct, I only suffered a loss of 1ppm overnight. I am going to ensure my chlorine stays in check (I did not have this good test kit until now, so I could not keep accurate numbers with the prev test). I'm going to resume getting my PH and TA up as well. I appreciate the help and the advice.

Look at jblizzle post above.....you NEED to SLAM your pool. Read the article and we'll help you.

I'm on it, slam is in process, on my second dose. I think the bottom line here is that I have not been shocking to the appropriate level given the CYA in my pool but rather shocking to the recommended dosage listed on the hypo bucket for my pool size which doesn't take CYA in account.. I should have bought a decent test kit long ago..Thank you all and I will let you all know how it turns out..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.