Please help me..I am so pool chemical void!!!

Jun 20, 2016
Austin texas
I got a above ground 15 ft x 36 inch soft sided pool yesterday from a friend that came with pump and chemicals. All the chemicals have either "step 1" or "step 2" all the way to step 4 written on the front. The bottles instructions are very confusing. I can say they are HTH chemicals. I wish they just said, "this is the bottle you use first, use this much for this size pool, then use this one and so one. There are lots of abbreviations I have no clue about and I "tested" the water with a test strip but had NO idea how to read the dang thing! I need help please!!!! I also have a puppy who loves the water and I want her to be able to enjoy it along with me. I have heard mixed things about chlorine and dogs. I would like to get your take on that as well. So far there are no chemicals in my pool and its day 2. I need to put them in ASAP I am sure. Thanks for your help and feed back! Did you go through this when you go a new pool as well?:handwave:

We all were clueless at first, honest.

Start by reading this: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Then this might be useful- Pool School - Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools

Stabilizer and bleach are what you need first and foremost. Based on your pool size of 4000 gallons, 21 ounces of granular stabilizer and then 24 ounces of 8.25% bleach will get you 40ppm CYA and FC of 4ppm which you want to maintain (never go below 3 or you're risking algae moving in)

See PoolSchool for more info. Get a test kit!! TF-100 is a good one that most here use, available from TFTestkits.net or Amazon. Good test kits are an investment in your pool waters health!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.