Doheny's Discovery, S200, Active20, Triton owners club

I just pulled the trigger on the Doheny Discovery before the sale price runs out November 6! I am jazzed. This is the first step in upgrading a bunch of stuff and moving toward automation and stuff. Very excited to welcome the little guy to his new home. Maybe i'll call him Gort. or Mr. Clean. HAL 9000...? Marvin, the Paranoid Android. Hmmm.

Totally jazzed.

You won't regret it. I have the Doheny Discovery and just love it! It never fails to pick up stuff even when I can't see anything in the pool. We live in Myrtle Beach, SC so we named ours Myrtle and so far she hasn't disappointed!

I had a Pentair Legend II pressure cleaner for 5ish years before I got the Doheny's Discovery, same as Maytronics is S200. The robot cleaner is so much better. And it brushes the pool too. When I use to brush the pool there was always some dust that would brush up on the bottom. Now, there is no dust ever with the robot. When I cleaned the filter cartridges recently they were cleaner than they have ever been because the robot gets so much debris out of the pool.

Before I got my discovery, I had a Polaris pressure side cleaner. If your pool guy is telling you a pressure side cleaner is better, I suggest you get a different pool guy because that's insane.

Lol. Calling Marina for the active 30i. Thanks all!

I have the S300i (same exact unit). You’re going to love it. The integrated coarse/fine filter basket gives you the best of both worlds - coarse and fine filtration all in one with no swapping out of the basket panels. It’s the best!!

Also, get the Dolphin App to control it and you’ll be able to access all the advanced cleaning features.

Well... the 30i is on backorder and won't be coming in till mid December. Marina has excellent service. She had the Active 30 in stock and is including the filter that the 30i has for no cost. They are shipping today. Can't wait!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Depends on what you’re trying to filter out. If it’s mostly large debris like leaves or grass, then the spring mesh is the way to go. If you live in a dusty location or have fine sand, the Ultra fine filters are amazing at capturing fines and polishing the water. I always use the ultra fine filters in mine and I constantly wash out brown mud from the filter basket with it. I show some pictures of the kind of fine powder that can be captured in the link in my signature.

Earl is in hibernation now. My three options for storage are, 1) outdoor shed, 2) basement and 3) garage. I want it above freezing so the shed is out (our garage doesn't freeze). Was thinking basement but we run a pellet stove down there regularly and we have oil heat and no humidifier. So the house is quite dry all winter. So I think, given the discussion on seals staying pliable, etc. from the "leave it in the pool or not" discussion, that the garage is my best choice. Now to find his proper place there up off his rollers...

As a summary of our first year together after we adopted him, he was originally part of another family and the Pool Partz adoption program brought him to us, I'll share some thoughts.
  • Our pool is cleaner than it ever has been. Mostly very fine debris that I previously saw wafting around when I brushed is now gone.
  • Approximately 1/3 of the times I put him in, he ends upside down on a bench in about 13" of water.
  • I take about 10 minutes or less to clean the mesh insert and fine cartridges each time, and untangle the cord, before storing in our pool shed.
  • I only brushed a few times this year. For better or worse.
  • I will NEVER be without he or his kind.

I'm with you on all counts except we burn logs instead of pellets and you brushed your pool a few more times than I did. :)

I agree that the garage seems like the best choice. I stored Gilligan in the pool hut last winter but I may move him into the slightly heated work shop this winter. It has a small oil radiator to keep it at least in the 40s in there.

We did have to buy a small humidifier and often leave a pot of water on the wood stove to help with the humidity in the house.

I will add that we will NEVER, EVER be without Gilligan or his progeny.

Just somewhere where it doesn’t freeze is fine. I get like 5-10 units at the beginning of season every year that were left in a freezing shed and the motors lock up from freezing. Idk exactly what gets to them but it gets so you can’t even turn the impeller by hand.

Just emptied Ghostlight yesterday; filled to the top of the basket with leaves. Wow. Gobbles up everything like a trooper. Basket is a little smelly, but I assume that can happen.

I think I’m going to hold off and not get a caddy. Ghostlight is doing great, calling pool home.

Not sure if it’s good for my robot or not, but I’ve had him for over a year and 90 percent of the time I leave him in the pool. I only take him out when we’re swimming. No need for a caddy here, hope it’s not bad for the robot?

Ive had good luck too with the drop in rough filter basket.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.