Doheny's Discovery, S200, Active20, Triton owners club

Grrr... The Discovery has been $719 all winter long and it's jumped up to $799. I was (foolishly?) waiting for it to maybe drop to $699, or even the legendary $649 before I pulled the trigger.

If anyone happens to see it or the s200 or Triton for 700 or lower, please post! I would very much like to join this club!

I'm right there with you. As soon as I think I know what I want, the pricing stops me.... Who wants to pay an extra $150? :)

I'm right there with you. As soon as I think I know what I want, the pricing stops me.... Who wants to pay an extra $150? :)

If it makes you feel better, I believe the S200 at Marinas comes with the swivel cord for $699...for $50 more than the elusive $649 discovery...if you call them they might have some left over from last year they might let go ~$650. Got that feeling when I called last month checking on prices.

Update: I started this thread almost two years ago when I bought my Doheny Discovery. I'm now about 3 months away from my 2 year warranty expiration date. So far everything has been good. My cord on the other hand feels a little gummy, which I attribute to leaving in the pool for days at a time. I really wouldn't mind getting one of the swivel cords if I need my robot repaired in the future.

Quick question... if the Discovery is $799 through Doheny, and the S200 is $699 through Marina... why would you purchase through Doheny?

Equivalent models. Marina’s wins!

It’s just price shopping. If you feel some kind of brand loyalty to Doheny's then call them up, send them the weblink to Marina’s and ask if they'll price match to get your Benjamin’s. Check to see if one is selling with a caddy versus without as a caddy typically runs about $100. If not, then see if Doheny’s will offer you an extended warranty for the extra $100. If they don’t want your money, then it’s Marina’s for the win...

Equivalent models. Marina’s wins!

It’s just price shopping. If you feel some kind of brand loyalty to Doheny's then call them up, send them the weblink to Marina’s and ask if they'll price match to get your Benjamin’s. Check to see if one is selling with a caddy versus without as a caddy typically runs about $100. If not, then see if Doheny’s will offer you an extended warranty for the extra $100. If they don’t want your money, then it’s Marina’s for the win...

Thanks! Contacted Doheny and they said the model numbers are different (they are off by one), so they said they aren't equivalent models. Purchased through Marina!

Thanks! Contacted Doheny and they said the model numbers are different (they are off by one), so they said they aren't equivalent models. Purchased through Marina!

The differences could be inclusion or not of the caddy or changes/differences in the App (Bluetooth connection from smartphone to power supply) functionality. That might account for the model number differences.

Help- advice

I’m finally getting ready to buy a robotic cleaner. I was thinking of the Dolphin S300 (A30) or what ever it’s various numbers are. Before I jump in, I have one question.

My pool was originally built with an in-floor cleaning system, (that never worked well, but that’s a story for a different day), so it has floor returns. I’ve used a suction side cleaner with no problems, but a robot is a very different animal.

I see some reports of S series robots getting stuck on drain covers. Does this mean the robot will pull up the pop ups and get itself stuck on every floor return. I sure don’t want to invest this kind of money in a robot that I can’t use. I already did that with the in-floor system.

No, there is not enough suction on the robot to pull up the in floor valves. The getting stub on drain covers thing is because the cover sticks up quite a bit, maybe an inch, and the robot high centers itself. But, I've got two of the VGB compliant anti-suction drain covers that stick up quite a bit and mine has never gotten stuck.

You're gonna love the robot! Mine is really great! My pool has never been cleaner. And dont tell anyone but i didnt brush at all last year! :) I've got the S200, A20, Doheny's Discovery.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
+1 on pooldv comments, I have Active 30i and have probably been the most critical of them on this forum but that is because Maytronics advertise things that they do not deliver and with a few tweaks the A30i could be a fantastic machine, that being said you will love it, I just do not see the advantage of the A30i over the A20 and if I had to do it all over would have bought the A20 and then the strainer insert that comes with the A30.

The S300 (A30) seems like the sweet spot for me. It gives you the extra filter insert, choice of two cleaning cycles, and the cart for about $150 over the S200.

The S300 (A30) seems like the sweet spot for me. It gives you the extra filter insert, choice of two cleaning cycles, and the cart for about $150 over the S200.

The cart is well worth the price. If you operate line I do (bot comes out and is rinsed clean after every cleaning cycle), then the cart is a very handy storage device and an easy way to keep your back happy. I only have to run the cleaner every 2 days or so (a little more frequently in the spring) and so my bot spends moats ofbits time on the cart on my back porch. I don’t leave it in at all during the winter months as it’s too cold somhaving the cart makes storingbit in the garage a snap. The cartscretail fir about $100 so it’s worth it to me.

I like the MyDolphin App control and the ability to set a weekly schedule when we go on vacation so the extra cost of the 300i was worth it to me.

Boom. I just ordered last year's S200 (without swivel cord) from Marina Pool for $649 out the door with 2yr warranty.

I shall name it Spaceballs the Robotic Pool Cleaner.

For anyone else interested, they now have one left.

Here are the TFP member prices from Marina Pools, on the new 2018 models (with the swivel cord). The chart also lists what features come with each model.

Thanks to Margaret at Marina.

fullsizeoutput_20fe.jpg

Marina also provides TFP member discounts (items other than pool cleaners).

I just purchased the s300i through Marina, when I verified my warranty via Maytronics found out it was automatically extended for a third year. With using a visa, I should have 4 years of coverage. Pretty happy about that and my experience with Marina, had a tracking number within an hour of purchase.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.