Doheny's Discovery, S200, Active20, Triton owners club

Hi KD, I think we are both looking at the same model essentially. Riverside would be my closest retailer too and I'm not looking to pay $200 more to buy there either though I wish I could justify it to support a local shop. Everything is just more expensive here, gas, water, pools!

The A30i/S300i looks like a really good deal from what I can see if having the cart and the bumper to bumper warranty are important to you. I started zeroing in on the s200 as well until I got the spec and pricing sheet from Marina, it's helped me a bit though I think I'm drawn to the slightly better warranty at the moment of the 300i.

Greg,
We are in the exact same boat. Now that I’ve seen the caddy included with the Active 30-30i, I’m sold on stepping up from A20, for now at least... not sure how wife feels about it, God love her, but she has no idea what or why I need it for to begin with.

Is there shipping cost estimate with Marina to CA? I’ve viewed the year old “refurbished” units for around $50 less direct from Maytronics, but no swivel included, and that’s necessary. The 2018 models have that.

The A30i is a really good deal but at some point the added tech is point of diminished returns- with the warranty being the kicker only for me. I need the caddy to wheel in the garage, and keep the cord and power supply neatly arranged. The A30 fits in the value middle well, but it’s only a $100 more for the A30i...ahhh decisions! I have a deck box, as some store their robot in DIY caddy in there, but I have no faith in an unsecured $1k robot when every house in town has a pool. My future “Homer” ending up in another pool is more likely that way, so caddy in the Garage it is.

I see many warranty issues with the robots (that do seem to be handled fine) on these forums and on purchase site reviews so I’m torn on a B2B warranty value. Everything in the desert gets UV destruction like you wouldn’t believe, so the power supply and sun exposure concern me the most. As you mentioned, access to parts notwithstanding and I can keep the new “Homer” cleaning for years to come...even if it does end up in another pool someday.

Greg,
We are in the exact same boat. Now that I’ve seen the caddy included with the Active 30-30i, I’m sold on stepping up from A20, for now at least... not sure how wife feels about it, God love her, but she has no idea what or why I need it for to begin with.

Is there shipping cost estimate with Marina to CA? I’ve viewed the year old “refurbished” units for around $50 less direct from Maytronics, but no swivel included, and that’s necessary. The 2018 models have that.

The A30i is a really good deal but at some point the added tech is point of diminished returns- with the warranty being the kicker only for me. I need the caddy to wheel in the garage, and keep the cord and power supply neatly arranged. The A30 fits in the value middle well, but it’s only a $100 more for the A30i...ahhh decisions! I have a deck box, as some store their robot in DIY caddy in there, but I have no faith in an unsecured $1k robot when every house in town has a pool. My future “Homer” ending up in another pool is more likely that way, so caddy in the Garage it is.

I see many warranty issues with the robots (that do seem to be handled fine) on these forums and on purchase site reviews so I’m torn on a B2B warranty value. Everything in the desert gets UV destruction like you wouldn’t believe, so the power supply and sun exposure concern me the most. As you mentioned, access to parts notwithstanding and I can keep the new “Homer” cleaning for years to come...even if does end up in another pool someday.

I'll call later today and find out about shipping though the website does say free shipping over $200 with some exclusions like oversized items or items in excess of 24lbs.

I've already made the case to my wife about how it will save us energy$ by allowing us to reduce pump speeds as we won't be running the suction side cleaner anymore. Also, that thing is a pain in the butt to pull out and store so we usually just leave it in all the time and the dog usually kicks and disconnects the hose anyway. She trusts my judgement (I think?) because this website has helped me keep the pool crystal clear and we're not spending the $100 a month for a pool guy!;)

The Dolphin robots only have three major (high dollar) components - power supply, cable and motor. They are monolithic units and so if one goes bad, it is simply removed and replaced, there is no “rebuilding” it. The cable runs about $200 as does the power supply. The motor is the most expensive part to replace and they tend to run about $400-$500. All other wearable components (treads, brushes, etc) are under $100. I haven’t searched too much on the topic but there’s no Dolphin retail shop selling spare part - you have to buy them from a pool shop that sells them or find an online source. When under warranty most people will opt to have their nearest Dolphin repair shop do the fix (that might require some hefty shipping charges if you bought out of state). Outside of the warranty, fixing it yourself is possible as long as you can get the parts and you can adequately diagnose the problem.

During the swim season my robot is stored on the caddy, outside on the porch in the backyard under the awning. When I run it, the power supply stays in the shade under the porch. I suggest you find some shade for the power supply when you run it as it does get very warm all on its own and leaving out in the hot sun will most likely fry it from the exess heat.

I'll call later today and find out about shipping though the website does say free shipping over $200 with some exclusions like oversized items or items in excess of 24lbs.

I've already made the case to my wife about how it will save us energy$ by allowing us to reduce pump speeds as we won't be running the suction side cleaner anymore. Also, that thing is a pain in the butt to pull out and store so we usually just leave it in all the time and the dog usually kicks and disconnects the hose anyway. She trusts my judgement (I think?) because this website has helped me keep the pool crystal clear and we're not spending the $100 a month for a pool guy!;)

That was my argument to the wife and she was 100% on board. I'll also be excited about less 'strain' on my filter by not having to backwash/clean as often since it'll be doing less work. Suction cleaners are so crappy and hate pulling them in and outside of the pool (not to mention they don't work that great for fine stuff).

PS - Call me a sucker but I called back Marina and changed my order from the S300 to the S300i :eek: Was amazed how quickly they shipped it out (same day and comes in tomorrow!)

That was my argument to the wife and she was 100% on board. I'll also be excited about less 'strain' on my filter by not having to backwash/clean as often since it'll be doing less work. Suction cleaners are so crappy and hate pulling them in and outside of the pool (not to mention they don't work that great for fine stuff).

PS - Call me a sucker but I called back Marina and changed my order from the S300 to the S300i :eek: Was amazed how quickly they shipped it out (same day and comes in tomorrow!)

I'm trying to order mine this morning and just left a message for Margaret. What was the shipping for yours?

The Dolphin robots only have three major (high dollar) components - power supply, cable and motor. They are monolithic units and so if one goes bad, it is simply removed and replaced, there is no “rebuilding” it. The cable runs about $200 as does the power supply. The motor is the most expensive part to replace and they tend to run about $400-$500. All other wearable components (treads, brushes, etc) are under $100. I haven’t searched too much on the topic but there’s no Dolphin retail shop selling spare part - you have to buy them from a pool shop that sells them or find an online source. When under warranty most people will opt to have their nearest Dolphin repair shop do the fix (that might require some hefty shipping charges if you bought out of state). Outside of the warranty, fixing it yourself is possible as long as you can get the parts and you can adequately diagnose the problem.

During the swim season my robot is stored on the caddy, outside on the porch in the backyard under the awning. When I run it, the power supply stays in the shade under the porch. I suggest you find some shade for the power supply when you run it as it does get very warm all on its own and leaving out in the hot sun will most likely fry it from the exess heat.

That's good to know about the power supply. I plan to keep mine stored away when not in use and will probably run it after work when it's cooling off rather than middle of the day.

As for parts I'm guessing I'll be able to buy them from Marina as they seem to be a high volume dealer so phoning in an order should be easy enough (I hope!)

Also, a motor failure is hopefully pretty rare because that is almost expensive enough to call it a total loss as you start getting up there in age on the unit. There are plenty of happy customers so I'm hoping it all goes well for me as well.

Firstly: can someone kindly pass along the correct part number for the appropriate caddy for this model line (Active and S-series)?

I'll call later today and find out about shipping...

Greg, appears we’re kindred spirits. If you could pass along the shipping info, That’d be awesome...they haven’t called back.

... and we're not spending the $100 a month for a pool guy!;)
I often use the argument about how much we save by not having a pool man. I’m a pretty handy guy and have yet to use an outside pool maintenance service at this house, thanks largely to TFP.

No taxes no shipping [emoji4]

She'll get back with you soon.. took me a minute to get a hold of her.

R:
Thanks for the input. Waiting to hear back from Marina.
So you’re in Texas? Do you usually get charged sales tax, or anyone purchasing phone order from Marina is exempt. Which unit did you purchase from Marina, the 300i? Do you choose between the Active series or S?

I’m getting excited. I start a new schedule next week, so I’d like to get this purchased and delivered before then. Still not sure which unit to get!!! Help!
Looking forward to less wear and tear & longer cleaning intervals on main filter.

Got my s300i ordered earlier today and forgot to ask about shipping, actually, forgot to bring up price at all! (Was half asleep as I've worked several night shifts in a row). I'll let you know what they charge when they send over the invoice.

Btw, I asked for Margaret but a man helped me out over the phone.

Edit: just checked the email and found my total is $949. There's no price breakdown but the list price was $899, so $50 for shipping it looks in my case...hmm.

I do have tracking info already too, looks like they've done this before!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Got my s300i ordered earlier today and forgot to ask about shipping, actually, forgot to bring up price at all! (Was half asleep as I've worked several night shifts in a row). I'll let you know what they charge when they send over the invoice.

Btw, I asked for Margaret but a man helped me out over the phone.

Edit: just checked the email and found my total is $949. There's no price breakdown but the list price was $899, so $50 for shipping it looks in my case...hmm.

I do have tracking info already too, looks like they've done this before!

Ok, disregard where I mention price above... I'm literally running on 6 hours of sleep over the last two days.

It's priced at $949 on that price sheet I posted above, not sure where I got $899 from.

So, yes, not tax or shipping to California it looks

Spoke to Seth @ Marina.
Shipping is either free or just included in $699/$849/$949. No tax outside of Colorado. These prices are fantastic.

I’m working out otherwise I’d have ordered if I had the card. I have had 2 experiences with the Dolphin robots, Nautilus CC Plus and older M-series style w/ BT app. Have heard Bluetooth tools are fun for a bit, but only really used infrequently and just hitting the button for 2 hour clean. Friend with pool service and personal M-series broke the caddy and doesn’t miss it. Neighbor has new Nautilus and just leaves it in the pool as they’re only here on the weekends.

I’m leaning toward the Active 20/S200 and if I want the caddy I’ll buy later.

Any final input on the caddy?

Spoke to Seth @ Marina.
Shipping is either free or just included in $699/$849/$949. No tax outside of Colorado. These prices are fantastic.

I’m working out otherwise I’d have ordered if I had the card. I have had 2 experiences with the Dolphin robots, Nautilus CC Plus and older M-series style w/ BT app. Have heard Bluetooth tools are fun for a bit, but only really used infrequently and just hitting the button for 2 hour clean. Friend with pool service and personal M-series broke the caddy and doesn’t miss it. Neighbor has new Nautilus and just leaves it in the pool as they’re only here on the weekends.

I’m leaning toward the Active 20/S200 and if I want the caddy I’ll buy later.

Didn't know you had the Nautilus CC plus, that's the one currently on Amazon isn't it? How did that one work out for you?

Also, worse case scenario you can pick up the universal caddy later if you find your needing it. Better yet, make a carrier of some kind if you're handy... Think Harbor Freight or as my wife calls it, "ManKEA"

- - - Updated - - -

Thought about jumping on this but chickened out:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F202424946461

I have the Active20, no caddy. Don't really see the need for me. I leave the robot in the pool most of the time. The power supply in the shade. if we leave or it looks like we might get a storm I put it all in the garage. If you are worried about the brushes sitting on the floor (Marina said no big deal) just set the unit on its side. Be sure you clean the filters when you take the robot out of the water. Do not let them dry out dirty.

Thanks M, I’ve followed your success with the A20, and really am swayed.

Didn't know you had the Nautilus CC plus, that's the one currently on Amazon isn't it? How did that one work out for you?
I don’t have the Nautilus, next-door neighbor had it delivered a few days ago-but’s it’s the Amazon one (Nautilus CC line). We get all their packages at our place so it was really funny to see they bought it, as I was close to making that be my choice. Regardless, it was amazing to see it in action. I don’t think it has scheduling features, kinda surprised since they are gone a lot. I mentioned TFP, but to each their own...research.

Got a full day tomorrow, so if I don’t have time I’ll make my mind up and purchase Wednesday.

Edit: CERTIFIEDDOLPHINS.COM, Marina Pools still had them beat.
I‘m still leaning toward the Active 20. Was watching a Youtube unboxing, and it mentioned keeping the power supply within 10 feet from the pools edge. I have a vent door in the garage that’s about 15 feet from the pool, and could rig that to send the cable through so I can also keep the power supply indoors-just walk into the garage hit the clean button and WhaLa!

R:
Thanks for the input. Waiting to hear back from Marina.
So you’re in Texas? Do you usually get charged sales tax, or anyone purchasing phone order from Marina is exempt. Which unit did you purchase from Marina, the 300i? Do you choose between the Active series or S?

I’m getting excited. I start a new schedule next week, so I’d like to get this purchased and delivered before then. Still not sure which unit to get!!! Help!
Looking forward to less wear and tear & longer cleaning intervals on main filter.

Yes in Texas and usually charged sales tax depending on the item (no state income tax). After going back and forth I finally decided on the S300i. Definitely wanted the caddy for ease and decided I didn't want to regret the additional cleaning modes/functionality since it was just $100 more.

Can't wait to fire it up after work tonight :)

KD, I'm sure you'll be happy with the 200 as physically they seem identical to the 300. The Caddy was important for me because I'm hoping my wife will feel it's easy enough for her to wheel it out and drop it in when I'm not home. With the prices as close as they are I just went for all the bells and whistles so I have flexibility should I want to use these other features.

React, that unit could have been coming here had I ordered sooner, I feel like you have adopted my child! Take care of her.

My s300i arrives Thursday:D I've already pulled my Pentair Rebel and hose from the pool and packed it away in anticipation. Was out at the SWCG yesterday and got my RPM down from 1950 to 1450 and my Watts down from any 380 to 160. Skimmer action is still good and I'm still pulling from main drains as well.

With So Cal energy prices, it should help me quite a bit with this Dolphin.

Skimmer action is still good and I'm still pulling from main drains as well.

With So Cal energy prices, it should help me quite a bit with this Dolphin.

I’m in SoCal Edison and it ain’t cheap. It’s a competition amongst neighbors to save the most :). In the summer the energy use is astonishing, and it’s also the time I run the pool pump the most. The VS pump really improved the energy saving, and noise, which still can be irritating at high RPMs-sitting right behind our master bedroom. The VS pump alone saves me $40-60/month from old single speed. The robot will be great to keep the noise of the pump speed down, AND electric savings.
I’ll have to see what RPM gives me the best mix. I have an in-floor, and it requires high pump speed and time to run through the ports. I can bypass it and intake from main drain/skimmer and outflow to spa, then spillover to pool. At lower speeds if it’s enough umph to rotate the in-floor valve, therefore not pushing water through the spa, then the spa suffers. Gotta think on that one.

React: I’ve never been more excited about a cleaning tool in awhile :). It’s a gadget, and I’m a gadget guy.

I have an infloor system. When I added the robot, I just lowered the pump speed but still return water through the infoor. I did change the suction setting to skimmers only. I don’t need the floor drain either for circulation or to pick up floor debris. The spa still gets some circulation when it’s pop ups are operating. To give it a clean once in a while, (since the robot doesn’t go in there) I ramp up the speed on the pump and switch to full spa return for a few minutes. That flushes everything out of the spa over to the pool. Of course best to do before the robot is run.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.