Doheny's Discovery, S200, Active20, Triton owners club

It seems like all the S series are the same unit. They just block access to advanced features on some models. For example when you register the S 300i, it just gives you a slightly different iPhone app from the S 300. No real differences in the robot itself (or their cost to manufacture it) just a different iPhone app and a higher price (and much higher profit margin). So which ever S series you chose, it’s really the same exact robot with just some changes in software. It seems ridiculous that there is hundreds of dollars price difference between models.

As someone who recently finished shopping for a robot, I can tell you that you are not going to find a better price than that. You might better hop on it before the rebate goes away and you have to pay sales tax.

They sure have the market locked up on these things. I'm still looking for a lower price and haven't found one yet. My hangup is that these have been a little lower according to this thread over the past couple of years at certain times. Maybe that ship has sailed. My plaster is still new so I can't run one of these anyway, but we're getting very close.

Fairly sure my S200 does the same as poodle's. I bought it for the simplicity and cleaning ability so I just drop it in and plug it in and off Phin goes...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
According to the Sun Play article I saw, the the S200 is the same as the Cayman. But I read elsewhere that they are not exactly the same and that the Cayman only has 1 brush vs. 2 on the S200. According to the comparison chart on Maytronics, the Cayman doesn't do waterline cleaning, but other sites say that it does. The chart also states the Mobility of the S200 is PowerStream vs. CleverClean for the Cayman. No idea what that means... And finally, the chart shows that only the S200 has Automation Mode. Does that refer to the timer?

If the Sun Play article wrong? If so, how much (if any) cleaning ability do I give up getting the Cayman vs. the S200? They both have a list price of $699, so if the Cayman is inferior, why would they cost the same?

I don’t know much about the Cayman. I was focused on the S series. But the CleverClean term also appears in the S series promotions, so I doubt any real difference there. Automation mode is simply the ability to set the unit control so that the robot stays in an on state, (comes on when plugged in, goes off when unplugged).

A\The chart also states the Mobility of the S200 is PowerStream vs. CleverClean for the Cayman. No idea what that means... And finally, the chart shows that only the S200 has Automation Mode. Does that refer to the timer?

If the Sun Play article wrong? If so, how much (if any) cleaning ability do I give up getting the Cayman vs. the S200? They both have a list price of $699, so if the Cayman is inferior, why would they cost the same?

CleverClean as I understand it is the programing the robots uses for cleaning, while PowerStreeam is the water jets that it as on the sides and on the back that it uses for propulsion. Automation mode is not the timer. Its supposed to be used with home automation systems but not exactly sure how it works. The automatic timer is only good for a week and then you have to reset it. I think in automation mode you can control the schedule through you home automation system.

Appreciate the feedback. As to 1 vs. 2 brushes, from what I can tell the rear brush on the S200 turns the same speed as the rear axle and in the same direction, so I'm not really sure what purpose it serves?

I hear that these all use the same power supply but the lower end versions have certain features locked out. If so, would it be possible to buy a power supply from a higher end model to get navigation via Bluetooth? (I have a few stubborn areas that need more work than the rest, like behind the steps and in a couple of corners)

EDIT: Looks like the PSU is the same for all the models. The SKU is MAY99956035US-ASSY and is used for all of the following models:

Prowler 920
Prowler 930
S200
S300
S300i
Active 20
Active 30
Active 30i

Discovery
Premium
M1c Saturn
Cayman
Mercury
Quantum
Proteus Dx3
Proteus Dx4
Proteus Dx5i
T35
T45
T55i
Triton Ps
Triton Ps Plus

So how are they limiting features on lower end models? I mean the PSU is what controls the DC motors right, not electronics on-board the robot itself, or is the "brain" on the bot?

Some of the lower version models only have a simple power supply with one button. The other supply has the multiple buttons. Eventhough you have the same power supply ex.(s200, s300, s300i) unfortunately not all the features are available (Bluetooth, Navigation, or addition cleaning modes) the additional features are controlled by the robot not the power supply. I believe I read is controlled by the robots serial #.

And Bluetooth navigation is a stupid feature. Yes, it's cool the first couple of times but it introduces human intervention into what should be a fully automatic process.

I agree that fully automatic is the way to run these, but I was curious about certain spots that might need a little more time to get cleaned up. That said, I'm hoping that by switching from an old school telescopic pole connected to a vacuum head where I clean the pool maybe once every week or two, running a robot every few days will prevent buildup in the first place. :)

I agree that fully automatic is the way to run these, but I was curious about certain spots that might need a little more time to get cleaned up. That said, I'm hoping that by switching from an old school telescopic pole connected to a vacuum head where I clean the pool maybe once every week or two, running a robot every few days will prevent buildup in the first place. :)

In my caveman robot days if I needed the robot to cover a spot I'd just drag it over by its cord. Quicker and just as effective. The current, less patient, version of me just hits the power button for a second cycle.

Trust me, I have ready access to Bluetooth control and I will never again use it.

I saw no need for the ability to navigate my robot with an app on my phone or from a control unit. Totally cool (I guess) but just not worth the cost in my mind. Also less to go wrong so Im sure I made the right choice with my S200. I do run two cycles most of the time...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.