Doheny's Discovery, S200, Active20, Triton owners club

I've only had one of a few dozen S series Dolphins have an issue with an extremely large acorn. It sucked one up into the impeller and it didn't run right. Customer brought it back pretty irate their unit was a dud, only for me to pull the acorn out right in front of them.

I just pulled the trigger on the Doheny Discovery before the sale price runs out November 6! I am jazzed. This is the first step in upgrading a bunch of stuff and moving toward automation and stuff. Very excited to welcome the little guy to his new home. Maybe i'll call him Gort. or Mr. Clean. HAL 9000...? Marvin, the Paranoid Android. Hmmm.

Totally jazzed.

So after reading this thread we are sold on getting Dolphin Discover, especially since we have an older pool built before any fancy schmancy automatic cleaners were about.

One lingering question I have is how is this bad boy with nuts? we have a large oak near our pool and it likes to drop acorns in the pool quite often, we had a Zodiac Baracuda but this stole power from the single skimmer the pool was originally built with and caused water issues (House was a rental and had a company managing it). The treads would also get bound up and it would jump it's tracks and just quit (according to the renter).

I have 2 large oaks and it is great! One of the main reasons I wanted a robot. Yesterday the basket was half full of acorns and I said to my wife, it's why we go it. I would have had to unclog the hose 3 times and empty the pump basket twice with the amount it sucked up without a problem. You made a good choice! You'll love it and love never having to vacuum again :)

Here's what mine did yesterday!
dbtgallery.php

dbtgallery.php

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here's what mine did yesterday!
dbtgallery.php

dbtgallery.php

I should've taken a picture of mine a few days ago, it looked a lot like that, I love that cleaner. I finally threw a tarp over my pool, it's not the type of pool I can get a typical cover for. The leaves are falling like crazy right now, I'm open I can avoid some of it. Last year it was a daily job. Like you, I have a ton of trees [emoji268]

I actually emptied it twice that day. But, I ignored the pool a bit last week. And we had a storm come through Saturday night that made it worse. Yes, Gilligan stays in the pool pretty much all the time. Yes, I take him out to empty leaves and rectangle the cord as needed and chunk him back in. Once a week when the trees aren't littering the pool and daily or more often when the trees get busy.

Is the only difference between the discovery, 200, 20, and triton the color of the housings?
Yes.

Is one brand better that the other?
No, same.

What's the difference between the active 30 vs active 30i?
Bluetooth, I think.

Question, pool guy is trying to get me to install pressure type cleaner. Polaris 360 to be exact. Tells me dolphin cleaners are junk and is telling me if I really want a robotic to look into Polaris. Says electrical cords are a PiTA to deal with.
Is the Active 30i just a starter unit with the Polaris 9550 or 9650iq being higher quality?

Btw, he isn't affiliated with Polaris and isn't trying to sell me anything, just says he's speaking from experience.

Question, pool guy is trying to get me to install pressure type cleaner. Polaris 360 to be exact. Tells me dolphin cleaners are junk and is telling me Polaris robotic is better.

Pressure cleaners are the rotary dial tone phones of the cleaner world. Robots are the iPhone-like cleaners.

Pressure side cleaners need the pump to be running in order to operate and ones that have a dedicated pressure line are usually hooked up to loud, noisy energy-guzzling booster pumps. They make models that can run off standard pool returns but that usually requires a special fitting in the return opening and potentially having to block off the other return eyeballs in order to get enough pressure and flow.

Dolphin/Maytronics is the industry leader in robot design. In fact, robots made by Hayward and Polaris are basically copies of Dolphin robots. I have read more BAD reviews of Polaris robots (9XXX series robot, not pressure cleaner) than good reviews.

Choice is yours but, after 4 years of using a suction side cleaner, I ditched it this year for a Dolphin S300i and I couldn’t be happier with it. My pool pump runs at a lot slower speed and less often, saving me money.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.