New owner, just opened pool. Help!

That is a tough call. Chlorine - right now with no FC in the pool it is not properly sanitized. And it would take a lot of chlorine to get to proper levels for CYA of ~200+. But it is clear. PH/TA - if your pH is really that low (and to probably is) since TA is not measurable as well it could be very uncomfortable on your eyes and maybe even your skin.

I can't tell you how many ponds and creeks I have swam in that were not so clean. Completely different scenario, but really it is your call. If you are set for a refill, i would start there first. Sorry, just my $.02 though :(

It's generally safe to swim as long as you can see the bottom and your FC has not exceeded your corresponding SLAM FC based on your CYA. Since your CYA is exceptionally high at the moment, I don't see a problem in that. :)
Make sure your pH is inline as well. And Texas is of course right about the pool store!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Okay, here's what the pool store said... and I walked away with nothing but a piece of paper from the results. Go me!

FC 0
TC 0
pH 7.0
TA 0
CYA 100
Total dissolved solids 300
CH 60
Iron 0
Copper 0

I watched them do the tests. They did them just like I did. Except for the cya test, in which they didn't mix it for 30 seconds first. Does that make a difference?

Okay. So... not that you needed it :wink: ... but that store test confirms your CYA is high. Your K-2006 is more accurate, so if you are showing it as higher it probably is because you are testing properly and reading the results outside. So the first thing to do is still the water exchange. Time to start draining. Good thing is that once you get that CYA lowered, it will not go up again unless YOU want it to on purpose.

After all of this hubby "appeasing" I think a dinner out will be require when he sees your TFP clear pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi all! I've been slowly, slowly replacing water. Pool started getting a little cloudy yesterday, so I added 3 gallons of bleach (as I was at 0). Here are my test results from this morning.

FC: 3.2
CC: .2
pH: took 45 drops to get to 7.4
TA:10
CH: 70
CYA: 220 (Down from 260, yay!)

Realizing how long it's going to take to bring down the CYA, I really need to stay on top of the rest of these chemicals. So I will be working on those in the meantime.

According to PoolMath, I need:
3 gal bleach
2 boxes of borax
15lbs baking soda

What is my priority? The bleach, I assume? What about the borax and baking soda?

If my 8am math is correct, the target for CYA 220 is about 24, which is 5 gallons.

If I were in your shoes, I would get a submersible pump and get the water replacement over sooner than later. It's seems wasteful to get your water in order then just dump 75% of it.

If my 8am math is correct, the target for CYA 220 is about 24, which is 5 gallons.

If I were in your shoes, I would get a submersible pump and get the water replacement over sooner than later. It's seems wasteful to get your water in order then just dump 75% of it.

I didn't look up what my target FC would be, rather just went by a general idea from what I've read on here in having the FC be around 14. If it's 24, I'll go with that. 2 more gallons is easy enough to add.

I am just using my pool cover pump, as it's all I had. So I can drop about 10" per day and refill. I know I don't want to waste any chemicals, but I don't want to destroy the water while waiting for the CYA to get under control. I suppose as long as I stay on top of FC, I will be okay? I will look into a submersible pump rental, see what they run.

My pool is turning green! My husband is freaking out.

But, it is what it is. I got the pool drained about halfway last night (as far as I can without getting too low from the bottom of the liner). The green has all settled into "dust" in the bottom of the pool. So I will deal with that once I fill it back up today and start running the pump. Hose is in, and I will test again tonight. I'm all out of CYA reagent, but a 16oz bottle I ordered is supposed to arrive today.

We are about 1/3 done with the refill. CYA is down to 195. Awesome. So, if it dropped 25 with 1/3 replacement, should I hope to get another 50 down? Still would be at 145, but better than 260! With that possibility, if I repeated this process one more time, it would get down to 70ish.

I still have about 12" of water left to fill, but here are today's numbers.

FC: 10.5
TC: between 0 - .5 there was just a slight hint of pink
pH: 7.0
TA: 90
CYA: 90! More like 85, but someone said to round up. With 12" more water to add, I anticipate this being lower tonight.

I'm thrilled!

Once I get the water level up, I'll be able to get the pump on and start filtering out the green gunk. Hopefully that doesn't take too long.

Now I need to work on getting the pH up, correct? And what about the TA, is it too high? Should I use washing soda instead of borax to bring up the pH, so the TA doesn't get any higher?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.