New Stain that is growing, any ideas as to what could cause this?

Aug 6, 2015
Colts Neck, NJ
He Everyone,
I have a vinyl lined pool and the picture included is of a spot on the liner that is growing.

This is happening on side wall, this area of the wall was clean with no connections or otherwise.
Latest pictures:
DSCF1938.jpgDSCF1951.jpg
It appeared last year and has grown (picture is from May 2015, almost a full year between them)
DSCF0909.jpg
Any ideas on the cause and treatments would be most welcome.

Core pool info: 38K gal, vinyl, Intelliflo VS+SVRS pump, DE filter, liner replaced 2012

It looks like a hole in the liner. I suspect that you have metal walls and the hole is allowing water to rust the metal.

Can you feel a hole or is it smooth?

Test for metal walls with a magnet.

Try some ascorbic acid (vitamin C ) on the stain to see if it comes off.

Is the top picture the correct orientation?

Hi Guys, sorry for the delay. Life gets in the way.

To answer some of the questions:
---> Can you feel a hole or is it smooth?
It feels rough, but does not have any pointed edges. I can run my hand across it without any concerns.

I am not losing water in the pool so if it is a hole it is not leaking water, but could the metal be sealing the hole.

No the orientation of the picture is wrong. Turn it counterclockwise to. It does look like something is rusting and dripping down the liner.

Thanks for the suggestion on the ascorbic acid, I will try it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.