12" steps to slide?

elbenn

Jun 1, 2016
dallas, tx
We have a pool and slide under construction. The stone steps to the pool slide have been made to be 12" steps. The stone guys did that without asking us but just looked at a good place for a stopping point and then calculated the steps and it worked out to 12". There is actually plenty of room to add in a couple more steps and our pool builder is fine with redoing it to have more steps so they aren't so high. My question is what is a good height for these type of steps? Is 9" still too high?

Wow. 12" inch steps is quite a leap. Most all steps people encounter are going to be around 7"-8" rise so this is what our bodies have become used to. I know this is not a staircase but they should be installed somewhat close to what what we know. The most important thing is that they are all the same. We stayed at a beach house this year and the top step was slightly more than 1" higher than the rest but everybody tripped over that step all week long. You would think one would get used to it but after taking 12 steps at 7" and the very last one is 8"...it got us almost every time. I don't think a consistent 9" would be a bad rise.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.