Pool Newbie in Arizona

Jun 16, 2016
Goodyear
Ok so I am not really a newbie..persay. I use to help out my grandfather take care of our pool growing up but as a supervised kids I didn't actually have to have the knowledge I just followed orders. I've got the cleaning basics down, brush, net, clean filter out. I know the pool needs chemicals, chlorine, shock, and I seem to remember needing acid. I did read the ABC's of Pool Chemistry briefly and I will read again. But getting to the point, So we have been trying to get this pool to stay balanced. Our biggest problem has been the chlorine and algae. When we moved the pool appeared clear but a week after moving in it turned green. We went to the pool place (expensive trip) and got readings. Did what they said. So a month later it just seems we are shocking this darn thing every 3 days. I took a reading this morning and the pool has no chlorine. I gave it some algacide and shocked it again. I am really interested in organics in my pool and how they may be eating up the chlorine as well. My house backs up to a desert belt with two trees. We also have a water fountain that the birds like to bathe in. Bird and poop don't really go well in pools. I am wondering if I really should be focusing on getting the birds away more. Also as I mentioned my pool gets a LOT of sun. Even though we have some trees they don't really provide much shade to the pool, so I am sure this plays into effect as well. Last but not least How long should we run filter. Leslie Pool guy told hubby 12 hrs and reading online says run for 4 hours. Big difference. We have a sand filter Triton II. Could the filter running so long eat up my chemicals? Oh and last but not least, my filter is running a little high on the PSI but reading online it looks like it may be time to clean the sandfilter to lower the PSI. I will follow up once I can get things balanced. Thanks for help in advance.

Summary - Pool with fountain in sun with desert belt (trees and birds) behind it. Chlorine won't hold. Shocking every 3 days. Al age appears fast.

Goodyear .... my how that place has changed from the days back in the late '80s when I was at Luke. Amazing. Anyways, welcome to TFP! :wave: Let me be blunt and get right to the point .... your situation is not unique or unmanageable. Your #1 problem is you are relying on free pool store testing (hey, it's free!), then taking their advice (NOT free). See how that works? You go to Ford for Ford expert advice, and Chevy for Chevy expert advice. Unfortunately, the advice you get at the local pool store is dependent upon the seasonal employee they just hired on summer break, and those computer printouts that are geared towards selling products ($$$).

Here are your TFP orders if you should chose to do it the TFP way and be in charge once & for all:
- Order a TF-100 test kit (link below). Ask for the XL Option since you have algae, and also the "Speed Stir" to mix efficiently. You'll thank me later. YOU will be in charge of testing and you WILL know exactly what your water needs from now on. It's not difficult I promise.
- Do NOT add anything else to your water other than about 1 gallon of regular bleach each day - generic is fine. Once you get your test kit, post a full set of numbers and we'll help you from there.
- Please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. Or you can click EDIT YOUR SIGNATURE. It will help us later. This link may also help you: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post.
- Read the "SLAM" link below and bookmark/read the other vital links you see below in my signature. Those, along with your TF-100, will transform pool care as you know it.

It's not difficult, but the agony we all experienced at the pool store would lead you to think otherwise. You just need the right tools and a little help in the beginning. Give TFP a shot and let us know if you have any questions.