Please Help!!!!

NunoT

Jun 6, 2016
trumbull, ct
I just purchased a new home that came with a gunite pool. I have vacuumed all the algae that settled on the bottom of the pool. After vacuuming I noticed staining. I have since drained the pool, and powerwashed it. I am currently in the process of refilling but I still have stains. This is my first time owning a pool and have no idea what the stains are and how to remove them. Please help.

Welcome to TFP!!!!!

Your stains look mostly organic. The result of algae in the pool for a while. You also need a replaster. Its old and crazed. And your tile needs some work.

I suspect you could get a few more years out of the Plaster, it won't look great but I suspect it will hold water. As for the stains I suspect if you fill it up and keep it chlorinated at the correct level after a few weeks the stains will fade away. If not we could then do some tests and figure out what they are.

Your drains need to be replaced with VGB complaint drains to prevent entrapment. THIS IS IMPORTANT!! Take a drain cover to a pool store and they will sell you a replacement.

I encourage you to tread the "ABCs of pool water chemistry" in pool school so you can learn to care for your "new" pool.

gwegan has got you off to a good start. It's best to refill completely and see if it's still holding water and get your pool chemistry dialed in. The stains that are organic will fade as you maintain proper sanitation. A replastering is probably in order to restore much of that pitting and flaking that you're seeing. If the stains don't fade after a few weeks of maintaining chemistry, we can help you with that then.

Do you have a test kit? I would strongly suggest getting a TF-100 from tftestkits.net (link in my signature). It's nearly impossible to give you advice once you get your pool filled up unless you can give us reliable test results (not from the pool store).

Thanks for the quick response. I am in the process of patching up the tiles as quit a few of them have fallen off. I was planning on hiring someone to redo them before next season. With your recommendation i'll look into replastering as well. I hope its not to pricey. I'll check back in in a couple weeks if the stain does not go away. Again, thanks for the quick response.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.