Low sand level in sand filter

Apr 26, 2016
Munfordville
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post on TFP. I have a two year old pool and sand filter. It is a Waterway Millenium 22". When my installers first came out I only noticed them adding one 50 pound bag of sand. I figured maybe I just missed them adding the other bags of sand. I have had filtration issues the last two summers. Over this past weekend I decided to open up the filer and verify my sand level. I only had 6 inches of sand :mad:. After adding two 50 pound bags it brought it to about 9-10 inches from the top. My question is with just the 6 inches of sand I am sure that my 2 stage 1.5HP pump was flowing really well. Could that have caused me to get some sand in my pool from the returns? I know normally that can come from a broken lateral. I emailed Waterway asking them what low sand levels can cause. I have not heard from them yet. Any comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I have a 30 foot X 52 inch AGP. My pool is green right now. I just purchased a Taylor K2006C testing kit but have not used it yet.

Thanks,
Brian

Welcome to TFP Brian :)

It may have had some sand come through but it was most likely dead algae, it looks almost the same until you wipe in on a paper towel..

As for a green pool you have an excellent kit to attack it :) Check out the SLAM link below and if ask if you need anything :)

Welcome to TFP Brian :)

It may have had some sand come through but it was most likely dead algae, it looks almost the same until you wipe in on a paper towel..

As for a green pool you have an excellent kit to attack it :) Check out the SLAM link below and if ask if you need anything :)

It was definitely sand. I have a pool robot and after cleaning I dumped out several small bags worth of sand. I just received an email from Waterway and they told me that a low sand level could cause sand getting pushed into the pool.
Before I start filtering the water do I need to vacuum? My water is very green with leaves floating around. I don't have any trees in the immediate area. The pool gets full sun and the only leaves that make it into the pool get blown in during a storm. I can see maybe a foot or so deep. I thought I had two dead frogs in my skimmer but they were alive and well. :p I had a guy at work telling me to add shock around the perimeter of the pool and let it sit for a few days. Of course I would go the liquid chlorine route.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.