Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need advice on used pool cleaner

1. Back To Top    #1

Need advice on used pool cleaner

Background: I have a 22000 in-ground vinyl pool with a sand filter, lots of leaves, dirt and pollen falling in my pool, and not much money. The pool has a suction line (?), but I don't like the idea of a booster pump (one more thing to break). With so much debris, I wind up vacuuming all the time, and it's making me dislike my pool.

I think a pool cleaner is the solution. My budget is under $500. I don't mind brushing the pool steps and walls, so I'm not sure that I need something that climbs walls. (Why is that important?) I really like what I read about robots, but unless I buy a used one, I can't afford it. Is buying a used robot a good idea? Or should I buy something new but less powerful, that comes with a warranty? What do people recommend for my situation?

I appreciate all your ideas and input! (Even if it conflicts with someone else's!)
    -----------------------------------
    26000 gal, in-ground, vinyl pool
    Hayward S200 sand filter, 1 skimmer, 2 returns
    BBB since the first month! :-)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need advice on used pool cleaner

I wouldn't recommend a used robot. You could probably find a simple suction side cleaner used for well under $500, and they're pretty straightforward and serviceable.

3. Back To Top    #3

I don't want to mess with a booster pump ... is that possible with a suction cleaner? What are some brands that I should look for?
    -----------------------------------
    26000 gal, in-ground, vinyl pool
    Hayward S200 sand filter, 1 skimmer, 2 returns
    BBB since the first month! :-)

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Booster Pumps are used with pressure-side cleaners. Suction side uses your skimmer. The Barracuda, the Kreepy, the Navigator, etc. Polaris also makes suction-side cleaners. The Polaris 360 is a pressure-side with no booster pump.

Why climb walls? Dirt collects there, too, as does algae, so the "brushing" action is helpful. I'll ask you...why buy an automatic pool cleaner and still do manual cleaning?

A robotic for under $500 will be tough, but the Poolverneugen and the Smartpool Nitro will be close. Good luck.
    http://www.swimmingpool.com/

"Leave the gun...take the cannolis"

5. Back To Top    #5

try the Nitro wall climber by smart pool got mine from Island recreational. most places sell this unit online Overstock . com has them also they ussually have 1% off code that should bring the unit right in yoiur price range