Need help with cloudy pool

May 30, 2011
Its been a long while since I have posted. Need some help with my cloudy pool. It is a 22,500 in ground with vinyl liner. Hayward sand filter with new sand last year. Skimmer and bottom drain. Everything is working correctly. We had some algae first thing when opening it. I then had to go on a job and was gone for 2 days. When I got back it was not real bad, but not great either. This was after adding the needed chemicals to bring it up to the correct parameters before the initial shocking. I put in 6 bags of shock right after vacumming to waste most all the algae I could except what was in the water. It killed it all but is cloudy. After running the pool pump for over 5 days it is still cloudy. So I added some floc drop to the pool yesterday, ran the pump as directed on Recirculate for 2 plus hours and then turned it off. It has been about 16 hours and is still cloudy. It says it could take up to 48 hours but I noticed after check the pool water chemistry that it shows no reading for FC or C. So am I beating a dead horse here? It would just suck because if I have to add the shock now and start the pump back up then I now stir up all that dead algae again I guess. Any help would be appreciated. Everything shows ok except for the chlorine levels.

Sorry about the algae issues. Everything we teach begins and ends with high quality testing. Can you post current numerical test results.

I am sure you will need to SLAM your pool but those test results will keep us from just guessing.

Let me know what you think I should do. I dont have the more expensive test kit. Its just the test strip. So this is what I have.
Hardness 350
TC 0
FC 0
PH 7.6
Alk 8.0
CYA 10

I was reading up on the SLAM. What I dont know is if I should leave it a little while longer to see if the dead algae settles to the bottom and I can sweep it up or if I should start the shock process this evening. The Floc has definitely started working because now you can see the first 2 to 4 feet of the water is clear as it is settling to the bottom as before it was cloudy all the way up to the surface.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.