Pool floor feels like a water bed (fiberglass)

May 31, 2014
Wentzville, MO
I posted here a bit on my fiberglass crack problem I got surprised by when I opened a month ago. I ended up taking the advice to fill in the crack with marine epoxy for a temp fix. I got that done yesterday, however it was the first time I actually set foot in my pool this season. When I step on the floor its like I am walking on top of a waterbed. My buddy was in with me helping and when either of us would put weight on the floor the other one would feel it move. The only place that was still rock solid were the corners and steps.

I am trying to visualize whats happening. I am guessing my pool is trying its hardest to float out but the sides and water are holding it down. Which also lets me believe the water table is very high? So the crack was large, 3 x 12 inches or so (tapered). But the pool never lost any water over the past month. It actually seemed to lose less water than it should have via evaporation.

Long story short can someone help visualize what is going on? Is it possible plugging the hole could make it worse and crack other places? And any idea what could or has to be done at this point?

Thank you!

It sounds like the water is below the pool and you are probably correct on it trying to float, the water inside the pool is keeping it down... You need to install or have someone install a sump pump outside of the pool as close as possible to the deepest end and pump the water away from the underside of the pool...

Thank you for responding! So along the deep end wall it would need a hole dug along its side until you hit standing water? And would this be a permanent pump? I am wondering how it keeps from getting clogged up buried under ground, or maybe it slides down into a small well?

Do you think adding more water to the pool would be a good idea to add weight? Not sure if you can go up to the skimmer top.

Thanks!

As a fiberglass gel coat fails it becomes less and less watertight and allows more and more water to penetrate into the layers of the fiberglass. Sounds like it might be time for a new gel coat.

Thank you for responding! So along the deep end wall it would need a hole dug along its side until you hit standing water? And would this be a permanent pump? I am wondering how it keeps from getting clogged up buried under ground, or maybe it slides down into a small well?

Do you think adding more water to the pool would be a good idea to add weight? Not sure if you can go up to the skimmer top.

Thanks!

This is what I am talking about, they are a pain to install afterward but worth the expense..

The fiberglas pools from a factory are usually covered in acrylic. I suspect that the acrylic layer has delaminated from the fiberglas and there is water in between the two.

Fiberglas that has been applied after the fact, usually has a gel coat, which is just a layer of resin with no glass fabric.

Is your surface acrylic or gel coat?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.