Newbie versus 15 yr old IG pool and spa = Clueless

Meadow

Jun 10, 2016
Temecula, CA
Greetings :wave:

I recently moved into a house with a 15 yr old IG pool and spa. Clueless, I purchased all kinds of pool care products at Lowes and turned my new shed into a pool store with hopes to maintain the water balance. But it was a losing battle! A nasty looking like rust is growing at fast rate at the bottom of the pool eating the plaster.

Yesterday I had the pool contractor worked on our pool. They claimed, the rebar was deep enough but the rust has made it through the surface. They also performed acid wash and removed the calcium build up along the water line. So today, I filled it up and my search on what to do next brought me here. There’s a wealth of knowledge in this forum, kudos to all. :salut:

The real estate broker estimated the pool @ approx. 30k gallons, but the pool guy said 25k while the other contractor who performed the repair work said 20k. I am indeed, so confused. I know there is a calculator in here but it will take some time for me to read and learn while running around like a headless chicken. The pool is approx. 42’ long and 15’ wide excluding the spa. Center is about 7’ deep and approx 4-5 ft deep on both ends.

I am aware that the city water is acidic and test results determined pH @ 8.2 or perhaps even more. I poured a gallon of Muriatic acid from Leslie’s and started the pump. And as usual, I put the Dolphin Triton into work.

I really don’t want to ruin the process of balancing the water chemistry. So please let me know if there is something I should do first while reading till my eyes bleed in the pool school.

TIA, Meadow

Welcome to TFP :) It's good to have you here. With all the expertise here, you'll get good advice and get the most out of your pool, without wasting money based on poor recommendations from a pool store, or from anyone who sees you as their source of income.

Excellent that you're doing the reading. It takes a while to absorb, but it won't take as long as you think to understand and apply the knowledge available free from volunteers here at TFP. First there's a few things we ask that you do.

1. Add your pool details to your signature (click the link in my signature "read before posting"). Also, please add your city to your location
2. Read these links
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool
3. Order a TF100 test kit with XL option. Consider ordering a speed stirrer. TFTestkits.net
- I have no financial interest in TF Test Kits. The Taylor K2006C will also do the job.
4. Tell us what test kit you have now. Do your own testing and post the numbers as described in "read before you post" and/or a type a description if you have challenges.
5. You can give us a list of pool chemicals you have if you like. Brand, product name, chemical name and %, quantity. Some of it may be useful.
6. If you have any pool store results, check what the numbers are for iron and copper. If you don't have them, that's OK. Don't go and get them, but we might do that later.

In the meantime, don't go near a pool $tore. If you're going to go with TFP methods, it only gets confusing mixed with their business practices and potions.

Check back with us and ask any question any time.

Thank you for the prompt response.

Been doing a lot of reading in the pool school, over and over trying to understand the whole thing. I am learning but slow since this is all so new to me.

Thought maintaining a pool is just a matter of tossing in 3" tablet chlorine in the floating dispenser, duh! Yes, everything I need to know is in the pool school. Hence, I am not expecting myself to ask in the forum. Unless I really don't know what I am doing.

As mentioned earlier, I am dealing with a newly filled 25k gals municipal water. So far, I put in 1.75 gals of MA, 2 gals of liquid chlorine, 3 lbs sanitizer. Our system has a built in puck dispenser but I have no intention of using it. I normally tossed in 3 of the 3" Trichlor tabs in the floating dispenser. Today I went to Leslie's for the water test. Please see the attached.

Yes I am aware, CYA is low. Leslie's recommend to put 6 lbs, 2 oz of conditioner. I declined buying the conditioner from them because I still have 6 lbs of stabilizer (CYA 100%) from Lowes. Gonna go, grab a socky and tossed it in the basket.

Attachments

• Pool Water Test.JPG
    Pool Water Test.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 49
Looking good! Glad the methods are making sense to you and also glad to see you're making good decisions. You got this.

I still recommend ordering the test kit as soon as possible.

Your CYA will be quite accurate with the new water based on PoolMath. What target have you decided on for your CYA?

Update...

Thanks needsajet! Been out of the game for a while and I probably need to take the TFP school refresher course.

Anyway, my K-2006 test kit came in last week from which I ordered prior to joining TFP. I finally got the chance to use it and here's what i got.
FC = 2
CC = 0
PH = 7.8
TA = 90
CH = 250
CYA = 44

The above test was carried out earlier today @ 21:00hrs and therefore, I would not vouch for the accuracy since I have very little light.
Will retest again tomorrow in broad daylight to compare.

Re: Update... Follow up

I must admit TFP educated me on how to maintain a trouble free pool. Thank you so much.
All along I thought that replacing the pucks on the floater once consumed is suffice. But nah, I was completely wrong! Now I have to figure out what to do to all the useless poolcare products I purchased long before.

To follow up on test results:
6/25/16 @ 08:00 hrs
FC = 2
CC = .2
PH = 7.8
TA = 90
CH = 260
CYA = 40

6/25/16 @ 20:00 hrs (MA & Bleach bumped per poolmath)
FC = 3.5
CC = 0
PH = 7.6
TA = 80
CH = 250
CYA = 40

6/26/16 @ 08:00 hrs
FC = 3.4
CC = 0
PH = 7.6
TA = 80
CH = 250
CYA = 40

Going forward, I will refrain from using the trichlor to maintain CYA level. Too bad I still have 2 pails of 50 lbs each. Gotta build a decorative retaining wall out of it :cool:
Water was completely drained to give way for the plaster patch work, acid wash and costly scale removal.

And the reward is TFP effect... clean pool :paddle:

Attachments

• FTP effect.jpg
    FTP effect.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 26
Pool plumbing question....

Pool plumbing part question...

What do you call the part(s) highlighted in the picture and what are they for? One of them is dripping water directly to the motor below it. I tightened as much as I could but no joy. Can I bypass it?

Attachments

• 20160108.jpg
    20160108.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 23
ah...ok, thank you.

Upon closer inspection, the motor housing is badly disintegrating from where the incoming electrical flex conduit is attached. Suggesting water drips for many years.
I prolly wait until the motor quit and replace.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.