Year 2 starting from scratch

RHanel

Jul 29, 2015
Ridgefield, CT
Hi all,

Just looking for some suggestions for starting the pool up this year. I have an Intex 15'x42" pool (approx. 3800gal.) and will be setting it up this weekend. This year I will be using a new sand filter 2800GPH with my SWG (both from Intex). I was wondering if you have any suggestions for getting it up and running. These are the steps which I will be doing: 1) Setup, 2) Add 80-90 lbs of salt while filling (takes approx. 12 hrs to fill). 3) Test the water levels and then adjust according.

Is this a good approach or should I be adding something else in the beginning with the salt?

Thank you,
Rich
CT, Intex pool 15x42 SWG new sand filter pump

So I should add the chlorine at the beginning. Interesting, didn't think that I needed to do that. Just to make sure that I understand you, I should NOT add the salt when I am filling, get the PH and CYA set first then add bleach to get the the correct chlorine level then add the salt and start up the SWG?

I'm still new at this so forgive me for the basic question. I am actually creating a document for next year.

You can add the salt whenever you like, even during filling, but I wouldn't rely on the SWG to get your chlorine up initially. Getting some FC in the pool immediately is best so you never have a chance of algae starting. We have seen a few folks who are adding salt to their pools this year having some issues with chlorine demand immediately after adding. Perhaps an issue with the salt causing increased chlorine demand for a short time due to some organics contamination. Regardless of this, best to get FC in there for sanitation, CYA to protect your FC and then dial in the salt and SWG so your SWG.

Thank you for the clarification. I just received notice that my new filter will arrive on Friday. Pool will get setup on Saturday and filling will begin Saturday night with it finished by Sunday morning. :) Let our summer begin. (After a few warm days to warm up the water temperature)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.