De in pump basket when off

May 9, 2016
Princeton,NJ
I replaced the filter pressure relief valve and gauge due to corrosion inside gauge and leak from stem. At the same time i decided to clean filter grid and recharge de.

All appeared ok after i was done until i noticed when i closed the pressure relief valve when pump was turned on a cloud of grey shot into the pool from return!

Next day i took filter apart and checked grids. All are good. Manifold wasnt seated apl the way down on the standpipe so i removed assembly and lubed o ring on standpipe. I also lube pump lid o ring again.

Today i had to buy the de to recharge so i turned pump on and as expected there was still de in the return lines so i let that flush out before recharging.

I made the mistake of doing it too fast at first as i noticed it spew back into the pool. So i waited a few minutes then did it slowly and watched each scoop to make sure it didnt return to pool.

I let the pump run for 5hrs and turned it off to observe my fixes. The pump held water in the basket and a few min later a cloud of de mixed in.

So...could it just be a bad relief valve? Thats the only major thing i repaced. I dont hear air when pump is off.

I did notice a small leak at the swg unions while it ran.

This is becoming a disaster for me, im not ready for a ccp filter yet but leaning towards one next year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.