New to pool ownership - Some Questions

I just got home and ran some tests:

fc 10.5
cc 1.5
ph 7.3
ta 80
ch 230

I didn't test the CYA because I'm pretty sure it's at or near 0. I've got some tabs in the autofeeder, but I've got no reason to believe they've moved the CYA since this morning.

The CH is just under recommended levels, so I'm guessing the FC was washing out the test this morning. I'm pretty sure I did it right this morning, but I can't rule out the possibility of user error. I'm guessing I can wait until the pool gets clearer before I try to raise the CH?

Still getting a cc, so I guess I'm still oxidizing some stuff in the pool.

I had my wife test with the strips while I was at work and the FC was reading 2 (I know the reading wasn't accurate, but I know it was lower than 10), so I had her add 16 oz of granulated chlorine.

There is MUCH less foam over the pool, my wife said it's been like that all day. It's a little bit clearer - for the first time I can see the second step!

I'll probably go to Walmart tonight to get some CYA. I won't start putting it in until tomorrow, I want to clean the cartridges first. The PSI is only up by a couple pounds, but the Pool School says to wait a week to clean the carts after adding CYA and the pressure will probably continue to get higher during that time.

With a CYA of 0 should I try to maintain an FC of 10 or shoot for 15?

Being able to see the second step feels like a little light at the end of the tunnel! Thanks again, everyone!

I would go with a shock level of 10 for now. With CYA that low you will lose a lot of chlorine during the day. A good measure of how much progress you are making is to measure how much FC you lose overnight.

JasonLion said:
I would go with a shock level of 10 for now. With CYA that low you will lose a lot of chlorine during the day. A good measure of how much progress you are making is to measure how much FC you lose overnight.

Sounds good! I did these checks just as the sun had gone down, I'll check again at sunrise. I'm gonna go scrub!

DamianS said:
JasonLion said:
Sounds good! I did these checks just as the sun had gone down, I'll check again at sunrise. I'm gonna go scrub!
Just wanted to congratulate you on the progress you've made so far. :goodjob:

It's sounding like you are getting there!! :pirat:

I bought a cheap vacuum head at Walmart last night, I also picked up some CYA. I still can't see the bottom, but I figured I'd give it a shot blind. I couldn't vacuum more than about 30 seconds without it getting clogged. I've raked the heck out of the pool, but clearly there is plenty of stuff down there I can't get with the rake.

For the past two nights I have tried to scrub the bottom without seeing it. Of course this stirs up a lot of junk. In both cases by morning the pressure in the filter had gone up 8psi. I cleaned it yesterday and will clean it again when I get home.

Is it possible I don't have any drains on the floor of the pool? I ask because I'm pretty sure I've rubbed every square inch of the bottom several times with the rake and the scrub brush and I have never felt any bumps. Are they usually flush with the floor?

The water was starting to look a little better the other day (could see the second step) before I started stirring up all the junk on the bottom. Now I can just barely make out the second step.

This morning:
fc 10
cc 1
pH 7.2

From day-before-yesterday:
ta 80
ch 230
cya still probably very near 0

Trying to stay patient... :)

It is completely possible that you don't have a main drain. Usually the drain covers stick up.

As much vacuuming as you can possibly do would be a great idea.

Also, if you haven't already add at least 20 ppm of CYA.

I went to this small pool store today. He told me about this new system called BioGuard. It is cheaper, easier, and basically better than chlorine. I just bought the basic BioGuard stuff, none of the extra. Is anybody else using this? That's just a little humor.

Actually, I've been busting my hump all day on the pool. I've been vacuuming a lot. A friend of a friend happened by and he showed me a trick to block the second skimmer while vacuuming. He told me to put a tennis ball in the second. I asked him if he was sure it wasn't going to get sucked into the plumbing; he hesitated a little longer than I liked so I decided to put it in a tube sock and tie it off on the skimmer basket. It worked like a champ. The vacuum is scary powerful.

I've currently got the vacuum sitting in the deep end functioning as a floor drain. The spa and other suction lines aren't blocked right now.

I sucked a lot of junk up and ended up cleaning the carts three times today. This helped me perfect my technique a little, I'm cleaning them much faster and better now.

As you suggested, Jason, I've got about 2.5 lbs of cya in some panty hose in front of a return jet. I don't want to put it in the skimmer because I am (and will continue to be) cleaning the carts so frequently.

I checked the pH and cl a couple times today. The most recent reading was 7.5 fc and 1 cc. The pH was 7.0. I brought the fc back to 10.

I'll check the pH again the next time the fc is on the lower side and if the pH is still low, I'll bring it up a little.

I'm hoping to see some progress tomorrow. I'll keep everyone updated. A sincere thanks to everyone here!

I can't say anything about the BioGuard but I do know it has nothing to do with the BBB system, even though it begins with a B. I don't think you need it and if you haven't used it, you should probably take it back. JMPO. :wink:

Casey said:
I can't say anything about the BioGuard but I do know it has nothing to do with the BBB system, even though it begins with a B. I don't think you need it and if you haven't used it, you should probably take it back. JMPO. :wink:
Hi Casey! I probably wasn't clear, I was just joking in that first paragraph.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Tests from today:

fc 7.5
cc .5
pH 7.0
ta 80
ch 230

I brought the fc back to 10. cc is the lowest I've seen it.

I've been using cal hypo for chlorination (the big busket the pool store sold me as "shock" before I found this forum) and my ch hasn't moved in 5 days. I probably add an average of 7oz per day. This seems odd.

I still haven't tested cya again. I'm guessing there is at least some because I am not losing as much fc to sunlight.

Every day my wife says, "The pool looks better honey". I don't see it. I suspect she is mocking me. I'm thinking of putting her on Craig's List.

Cap said:
DamianS said:
I'm thinking of putting her on Craig's List.

Pics?? J/K :D
LOL!

I put in 33oz of Borax and checked the pH a couple hours later. Back at 7.2. Ahh, science. I'm able to vacuum for longer periods before having to clean my carts. I'll interpret that as progress. I still need to take a sample to the pool store to get metal and salt levels.

I think I'll have a couple POP and tonics tonight.

Still working on the pool. It improves a little each day. I can now see the floor in the shallow end and can make out the vacuum head in the deep end.

I've been letting the kids sit on the edge of the pool with their feet in the water, it just seems to make them less patient, though.

Acquaintance told me that I should not be using the metal brush on my plaster pool. He says that it will damage the plaster. How much truth is there to that?

There are stains all over the pool. Rubbing a trichlor tab on them does nothing, but vitamin C makes them much lighter, almost white. I figure I'll do the ascorbic acid thing after I've let my kids swim for a couple weeks.

Thanks again, everyone!

When the plaster is less than one year old you should only use a nylon brush. Once the plaster is one year old you can switch to a mixed nylon and stainless steel brush. A stainless steel brush will not damage plaster that is at least one year old.

Pool got clear the other day and we went swimming! We've been swimming pretty much every day since. The kids LOVE it!

There is a lot of damage to the plaster, but I'll have to wait a while before I can fix that. I'll post some pics soon.

Thanks again to everyone for the advice and encouragement, I have no idea where I'd be if I hadn't found this site when I did. :cheers:

Lershac said:
MUST HAVE PICS OF CLEAN POOL! BEFORE AND AFTER PLEASE~

yes I am yelling.
I am definitely going to post pics!

Just tested earlier today:

fc 2 (I brought this up to 4)
cc .5
pH 7.2
ta 100
cya 30
ch 270

The CYA is where I want it, so I took all the pucks out.

I worked on the calcium ring with muric acid and water. Eye protection, respiration protection, gloves - the kids thought I was an alien. I didn't get it all off, but it looks much better. I must have used at least a pint of ma, but I tested the water later and the pH hadn't budged. Kind of surprising.

During the day, the pool is crystal clear, but at night you can see a bunch of tiny particles near the light. I'm currently using cal hypo for chlorine (sold to me as "shock" before I found this forum). But even if I hadn't added anything for several hours, you can still see the particles at night. Any ideas?

I have a lot of depressed earthworms in my yard - they love to commit suicide by jumping in my pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.