TF-100 will be here on Thursday

I got that impression from reading though this thread. Also, not mentioned but I am questioning for later....

I know this equipment is new to you and you are a little unfamiliar with it. But you say you have an "Aqualogic" panel. But you make no mention if you have a Salt water Generator. It is possible to have the AQL without salt, but generally salt is the main reason builders use that panel. If you do have salt, this will be important to know. Not now but later once you get into "maintenance" mode. It will change the way you do some things. Is there anything in your PVC lines that look something like this:

Turbo-Cell_3.jpg

Maybe the original owner wanted the Aqualogic panel because it let him control everything from inside the house with this thing?
84bc92b053ca12bbe75eb2001bb58dc5.jpg

16,600 gallon, freeform, gunite and plaster pool/spa combo. Hayward SP3207EE pump, S310T sand filter, Century 1081 boost pump and Aqualogic panel.

Okay. The calculator said I needed 230 fl ounces of CYA to get the level up to 40.
I put in 128 of them and had my son's brush it for 30 minutes.

I'll test at the 2 hour mark to see where we are, then recalculate and add CYA again, brush it in and test two hours from then.

I am adding it slowly to avoid going over. My reason is that I used a small amount of solid shock late last night, and it may not be entirely dissolved.

I'm kind of a perfectionist and I have the time to devote, so I REALLY don't want it over that perfect 40 mark.

16,600 gallon, freeform, gunite and plaster pool/spa combo. Hayward SP3207EE pump, S310T sand filter, Century 1081 boost pump and Aqualogic panel.

230 Fluid Ozs is assuming you are trying to go from 0 to 40. I plugged the numbers in with the assumption you are going from 5 to 40 (Shock plus the little water you left in during drain). I came up with ~ 200 Fluid Ozs.

Either way, I think that is the smart way to do it so you don't overshoot.

The only water I left was basically straight from the hose. I tested it to be sure. It was way under 20.
You bring up an interesting point though and I have been waiting to ask about It.

Since we closed the drains and returns when we pumped out the water, I presume those lines and the filter would be full of high-CYA water.

I fully expected that residual CYA to be measdurable once I ran the pool for a cycle. (Which we calculated should be a little under 4 hours.)

It may take a little more time for the CYA to register on the test, so if your CYA number is less than you expect, you might want to wait a little while. You don't want to test CYA too often and run out of reagent. The test kit has enough for about 16 tests.

Make sure that you test in bright sunlight, back to the sun, vial at waist level and hold with two fingers. Any result between two of the numbers is rounded up, so a result halfway between 30 and 40 is rounded up to 40. You can pour the result back and forth between from the vial and tube until your are comfortable. This test is very subjective, so try not to overthink it.

Since we closed the drains and returns when we pumped out the water, I presume those lines and the filter would be full of high-CYA water.

It's negligible. I mean even if this is 80 gallons worth of water (and it's not) that would be < 0.5%

But it are these little factors that I used to "guess" a starting CYA of 5ppm. Again. Don't get caught up in this. Wait till you drives yourself mad trying to really determine when that dot disappears.

I am going to take your advice kcindc and mikemass, and get out of my head.
I know what I put in so far total is CYA 26 (i'll disregard the residual water now, thanks).
I'll test FC and CC now, add chlorine (assuming the CYA is 26) to shock level 10.

It may take a little more time for the CYA to register on the test, so if your CYA number is less than you expect, you might want to wait a little while. You don't want to test CYA too often and run out of reagent. The test kit has enough for about 16 tests.

Make sure that you test in bright sunlight, back to the sun, vial at waist level and hold with two fingers. Any result between two of the numbers is rounded up, so a result halfway between 30 and 40 is rounded up to 40. You can pour the result back and forth between from the vial and tube until your are comfortable. This test is very subjective, so try not to overthink it.

I would thumbs up or "like" this post if I knew how.

I don't know how I missed "back to the sun" in the directions, but I did.

That made all the difference. We are reading a 20 now.

(I still know I put 26 in there though.)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would thumbs up or "like" this post if I knew how.

I don't know how I missed "back to the sun" in the directions, but I did.

That made all the difference. We are reading a 20 now.

(I still know I put 26 in there though.)

Good catch.

Texts just completed.
CYA reads 20, actual 30
FC 10.5
CC .5

Ordering the stir dealie, later today too. Must have been apologizing to the hubby that I didn't order it in the first place and save us the shipping while you were posting this because *now* I see why I need it.

We are also almost out of the reagent for the CYA test already, so no big deal.

Is there anything else you'd recommend?

I always keep a spare set of FAS-DPD drops and powder, but other than that not really if you aren't low on anything else.

How's the water look? I'm not sure if you mentioned today.

I always keep a spare set of FAS-DPD drops and powder, but other than that not really if you aren't low on anything else.

How's the water look? I'm not sure if you mentioned today.

a8e963cc64c4b4ab281037f76be15eb5.jpg

Thanks to TFP.
Go figure - I thought it looked good when we got it 19 days ago. I had NO IDEA it could get this good.

You now officially have TFP-oolitis. Nothing will ever be good enough as your own pool water. Everything else will be sub-par. You are officially transformed into one of us. Our apologies. :joker:

It's serious! I was just googling how to best photograph pools and pool water!

Yesterday at 12:20 PM (my time) StacyTX posted that the pool was almost completely drained and "95% refilled" at the time of that post.

So it's only been a little over 24 hours and she has been keeping it well chlorinated since. I doubt the actual need of this SLAM. I predict she passes the OCLT tomorrow morning.

I posted a link in response last night, post #24, that explains how to add CYA and when it will be measurable on the CYA test. Measuring again in 2 hours is not helpful and wastes reagents.

I will conduct the OCLT tonight and in the morning. I hope you're right.

My nervousness about algae came from speaking with the previous owner while we were draining it. I contacted him to get the exact gallon count and ask why there's a floor return on the spa (three people now have commented it was odd). He knew the gallons (yay, cause my guesstimate was 1500 low) but he didn't know about the spa floor return.

He did go on and on about how if I didn't wash the walls with 10% muriatic acid solution while it was empty, I would lose the whole season to algae.
I thought the dude was going to come over with the acid and do it for me. This pool was his baby.

I posted a link in response last night, post #24, that explains how to add CYA and when it will be measurable on the CYA test. Measuring again in 2 hours is not helpful and wastes reagents.

Yes, thank you. I'll only be testing chlorine for the rest of the day. Is every two hours too often?

I'll test CYA again tomorrow morning (?) Or should I wait longer?

Does this apply to someone who chose to go the Liquid CYA route? I am not challenging you, I honestly don't know as everyone here always seems to use granular. And the CYA link you provided in #24 only discusses the sock method.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.