New to Forum - Possible Problems With Pool Opening

Goose...we can not help you unless we have test results...we are just throwing dart in the dark here. As FPM stated, CYA takes a at least 24-48 hours to dissolve and should not be tested for 5-7 days after it was added. You also stated that your FC and CC is high? If so, high CC's are a problem...how did you test and how high is high?

Test Results this morning:

TH - 250
TC 10
FC 10
PH 6.8 & 7.2 (inbetween)
TA 120
CYA 0

I'm not sure what went on with the reading of 50 on the CYA as I DID NOT add anything, but what I did do before I found this forum was about 3 days ago, I crushed up five of the 3" tabs, diluted in water, and poured into the skimmer. Now that I am learning more, possibly that could have spiked the CYA?

Water still cloudy, no green. Just cloudy. Jeri

No. It's the strips, you can't trust them.

CYA doesn't spike, once it is in your water it stays until it's remove thru water replacement (or converting to Ammonia - but that's complicated.)

You still need the PH to be at 7.4-7.6 (Use Borax or Washing Soda) and you want your CYA to be 30-50 and then dose keep your FC level according to the chart. Perhaps take a sample to the Pool Store and have them test it.

I would advise you to get the recommended test kit, as soon as you can, or at the very least pick up an inexpensive Walmart version - 6way kit for $20. That will be more accurate than strips and there is enough solution to do 2 CYA tests. (You should save the CYA reagent for after you have adjusted the CYA up.)

You can use Dichlor shock bags if you want, that will raise your CYA up a little bit. Use the "Effects of Adding Chemicals" section on the Pool Calculator to determine how much each bag will raise your FC and CYA level in your pool.

And then plenty of POP.

Okay, updated profile. Forgive me for not doing that sooner. Hope it is what you are looking for.

Will be ordering the test kit you recommend. I have been using the AquaChem test strips.

Do I continue to pour the liquid bleach in on a regular basis?

gooselover said:
Okay, updated profile. Forgive me for not doing that sooner. Hope it is what you are looking for.

Will be ordering the test kit you recommend. I have been using the AquaChem test strips.

Do I continue to pour the liquid bleach in on a regular basis?

Yes, that's great. :goodjob:

Next time the FC drops down a bit, increase the PH as advised above. Today would be ideal.

Yes, keep adding bleach to hold the FC at 10, until it holds overnight. Once you get the CYA in there, then your shock level will be higher then 10, see to the chart.

It will be hard to know if the FC is really holding without the FAS-DPD tests, the strips won't tell you much.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.