Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Whisperlo is really loud

1. Back To Top    #1

Whisperlo is really loud

Hello all, Im new and and hoping you guys can help me out, i just bought a house with a pool, and finally figured out how to keep the **** thing in order, but lately it has been running really loud. A high pitched whinning, I searched around and people say it is most likely the bearings need replacing, is this correct? How difficult of a repair is this and where can i buy the parts? Any help would be great.
    18,800 K
    1 1/2 HP Hayward 200 lb Sand Filter
    28 ft AG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Whisperlo is really loud

pentair-whisperflow-seal-replacement-how-to-w-photos-t10763.html?hilit=whisperflow

Hello medic
    Welcome to tfp, it sounds like it could the bearings, how old is the pump?
    Have look at the link above to see how to change the bearings.

Happy swims Frank
    Hello all from the land of smiles. Thailand. 5mx9mx1.5 63000L 16300 gall, pebbletex,
    pentair 1hp whisperflow, tagelus TA60 SF, swg monarch esc24 {a bit small for the tropics} 3 returns, 1 skimmer, 2 astral 100watt lights. Planned and built by me
    an AUSSIE expat living thailand for 18 years.

3. Back To Top    #3

WOW great link, thanks!

Well, i believe the pump is about 5 yrs old, it is a 2 hp, and I just looked at it and there is some water collecting underneath the pump. When I first moved in I noticed that when it fired up a little stream of water shot out from the seal but I payed no attention to it because it went away after about 5 seconds, that was about 8 months ago, but apparently I didnt look hard enough because its leaking now, do you think the motor is shot because it has been leaking so long?
    18,800 K
    28 ft AG

4. Back To Top    #4

The motor should be alright, but the bearing has probably gotten wet and is failing. It should be possible to replacing the bearing and the seal and continue using the pump for another ten years.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank goodness, I've looked around he web for replacement bearings but I cant seem to find the factory replacements, can I just get the same size bearings from a hardware store? Has anyone done this before?
    18,800 K
    28 ft AG

6. Back To Top    #6

frank, just wanna say thanku for your link again, but am I missing something here? Is the bearing in that kit? I thought a bearing had an axle in the middle of several balls which were encompassed by a housing. PLEASE correct me if I am wrong. I apologize for being so new to this, Im very mechanically inclined, but have never worked on a pool pump before, thank u all again for helping me out
    18,800 K
    28 ft AG

7. Back To Top    #7

bump
    18,800 K
    28 ft AG

8. Back To Top    #8

It is the peak of spring rush for everyone who works on pools. The people who might be able to give you the level of detail you need are very busy and not checking in here very often.

You might want to try a motor rebuild shop. There usually is at least one in any major city.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

http://www.poolplaza.com/C-WhisperFlo-Parts.html
    http://www.poolplaza.com/P-PUR-101-6168-WF.html
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 0181134776
    Hello Medic
    A search on google 'bearing and seal kit whisperflo' ended up with the links above, hope this helps.
    Happy swims Frank
    the bearings are in the motor, and the part that was in how to replace the gasket, is the water seal so i would suggest that you might have to do what Jason said.

http://www.poolcenter.com/motor_parts.htm [scroll down about the bearings]
    Hello all from the land of smiles. Thailand. 5mx9mx1.5 63000L 16300 gall, pebbletex,
    pentair 1hp whisperflow, tagelus TA60 SF, swg monarch esc24 {a bit small for the tropics} 3 returns, 1 skimmer, 2 astral 100watt lights. Planned and built by me
    an AUSSIE expat living thailand for 18 years.

10. Back To Top    #10

Gonna bump this thread and see if I get a reply - Medic, just if you're still monitoring this forum, just wondered if you had succeeded in replacing the bearings in your Whisperflo motor.... I've got a noisy motor and believe I am going to need to do the same. Anyone else who can point me to a detailed instruction on that would be very much appreciated...