Troubleshooting a Blue Diamond

I think I fixed the problem with it stopping after a couple of minutes! My Blue Diamond for the last 2 years would stop after a couple minutes and every time I would think about sending it back to the company, I would throw it in the pool and it would work. I called the company several times to try and get suggestions of things to try. They are NO help in diagnosing the problem. They just want you to pay the $75 shipping costs to ship it to them where they can try to sell you expensive parts. I had already taken the cleaner apart and thoroughly cleaned it. Finally, I read on another forum to throw the bag in the rinse cycle when you wash a load of clothes in COLD water. Do not put it in at the beginning with detergent. I took it out of the washer and put the cleaner in the pool. I am amazed at the difference in cleaning. It is even cleaning the water line, and I can't remember the last time I saw it do that. I hope this simple suggestion helps other people, especially since the company doesn't help at all.

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to throw in my two cents! :-D

I had a Blue Pearl from WaterTech and would never buy anything form them again. It quit working within the first month and they repaired it and paid the shipping. It ran fine for 2 years after I got it back then it just died. Out of warranty so no where to go. At the start of this season I purchased a Diamond Sprite Plus. I am amazed at just the difference in the quality of the components used to build the thing. Everything on the Blue Pearl was flimsy and cheap from the bag used to the plastic parts being so thin they would just break from barely touching them. I am very easy on gear - treat it with respect, keep it clean and maintained, etc. and to have something that expensive die altogether in just 2 yeasr of gentle use is total BS.

I also had a WaterTech PoolBuster which didn't quite last 2 years (and with one under warranty repair!). Total junk! I would advise all to stay awy from products made by WaterTech.

mtheaded said:
I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to throw in my two cents! :-D
<snip>At the start of this season I purchased a Diamond Sprite Plus. I am amazed at just the difference in the quality of the components used to build the thing. <snip>

I assume that you meant Dolphin Sprite Plus. I would be interested in hearing your evaluation of how the new cleaner compares with the old one in terms of actual cleaning, ease of emptying the trash, etc.

I've got a Blue Diamond that I've had for several years with no trouble whatsoever. However, I've never had to deal with Water Tech's customer service folks...and it doesn't sound like I want to either!

While I'm extremely pleased with the behavior of my Blue Diamond (it cleans my pool in less than two hours, climbing the walls, cleaning around the surface line, etc.), I've always believed it to be overpriced and am constantly on the lookout for a replacement for the Blue Diamond for the day that it turns its toes up and dies. Replacement parts are ridiculously priced, so repair may not be a reasonable option and I'm not inclined to spend another $1300 for a cleaner if a $700 cleaner is just as good.

Hey Bosqueboy!

Yes, I did mean a Dolphin Sprite Plus and, as we are almost at the point of winding down the first season (hard to believe!) I am happy to report that I am still very pleased with the Sprite.

It cleans just as well as the Pearl did and it has 3 cycles (1, 2 and 3 hour) to choose from. I usually run mine once a week on 2 hours and everything stays pretty sparkly clean. It seems to do just a good a job of wall climbing. The bag is a much heavier material than the Pearl so it takes a little extra effort to clean it (but it is okay to throw it in the laundry a couple times a year - they recommend it - with the Pearl they said absolutlely do not launder it!) when done but that's pretty minor. I don't know about the Diamond, but the Pearl used a foam rubber like material on the 'wheels' which I found to be kind of a pain (always wet - tending to mildew). The Sprite uses a knobby hard rubber type wheel which doesn't retain all that water. It also comes with a carrying/storage rack which the Pearl didn't. Also, I always had issues with connecting and disconnecting the power supply with the Pearl (part just kept coming apart and I would have to reassemble). The Sprite has a screw in connector that can't come apart - just a better design.

Bottom line - much better design than the Pearl for the same money. I still would not consider buying another product from Water Tech based on my experience with the Blue Pearl and the Pool Buster.

Hope that helps! :-D

I understand that this is an older thread but it makes more sense to keep the blue diamond stuff together in one spot.

My blue diamond cleaner has recently started shutting down after running for about 30 seconds. It is still under warranty so I was preparing to send it off for repair. But decided to search here for suggestions. The one that worked for me was washing the filter in the washing machine on the rinse cycle. The filter didn't appear to be especially dirty however after the wash the unit now runs its full cycle.

Thanks for the suggestions and thanks to this great site.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.