Hey everyone. My friends call me JJ. I just wanted to introduce myself and say thanks. I lurked and got a lot of information from all the posts. I just moved into my house in October and this is the first season of the pool. The pool is probably 20,000 to 25,000 gallons. i haven't measured but figure that's a close estimate.
The cover was torn along the seams during the winter and tons of debris got in the pool. When I opened it it was black as a stagnant pond and the mosquito larvae loved it. While i had my back turned i heard a flapping noise, and a duck landed on it. You can see him in the photos I've attached. So I took that as a sign that the pool was in very rough shape. ahhahah
AND it stunk to high heaven!
So The previous owner left two gallons of liquid shock. That was like pouring cups of water on a house fire.
SO i dipped out what I could feel with the leaf net, gagging the whole time.
I tested the water, with the dinky pool tester I have, and it was zero chlorine and very very low PH. SO, i hit it with several bags of shock.
Then i got the milky pool effect you see in the attached photos. A couple days of that, and vacuuming up remaining debris, and scrubbing the sides of the pool and letting it all collect in the middle was fun. Then I put clarifier in the pool and over night it really cleared up nicely.
While working on getting some of the clarifier piles of debris out of the bottom I hear another flap flap, I turn around and a GOOSE landed on the gazebo. LOL. She was sniffing the air and looking at the pool like she really wanted to land. I can say it took a lot of yelling and flailing to get her to leave.
You can see her in the pictures.
I have switched to using bleach now, no pool shock. I do have the chlorinator going with tabs. The pool is very clear, and smells clean. The deep in is a bit "foggy". But I'm guessing that will clear up. I have noticed some white debris on the bottom when I sweep. I'm guessing thats the remaining clarifier?
I'm using Pool socks on my skimmers to keep it out of the filter, and when I do vacuum the piles of it, i do that to waste.
Anyway. I took a final picture yesterday morning of the Pool. What do you guys/gals think?
I don't have numbers because of the dinky tester, but everything is in the "normal" range for FC and PH.
I do wish the "foggy" deep in would clear the rest of the way up.
Thanks for all your help.
I am going to break down and buy a test kit soon I think. The only thing I have to do now is figure out how much bleach I will have to add to keep things normal.