Opening help (Newbie)

May 26, 2016
saginaw, MI
So my wife and I bought a new house. It was repo and we got it for a steal!! Had a pool in the backyard, but, no one lived in house for 3 years. Not sure how long the pool sat before the previous owners moved out. It is a 24 feet round. There was also all the old pool equipment in the garage, pump, filter, hoses, nets. The winter cover was in the pool. So 3 years of leaves were in it, too.

For the last 3 weeks I have been working on it. Thought I got most of the leaves out. Shocked the **** out of it. I got the water to change from a black, brown, holy cow, color to white. Talked to the people at the pool store, they said they don't normally recommend Floc, but, in my case it might be the best bet. Put it in and I had crystal clear water. BUT, there were still a ton of leaves in it. Too many to vacuum, I tried, but, maybe I did something wrong. The filter just seems to plug up when I tried. So I worked on getting more leaves out. But, now all the stuff that settled to the bottom is floating again.

So, my question is, will the Floc I put in settle everything to the bottom again? Or will I need to add more. There looks like some big, heavy pieces of stuff are in there, so I'm hoping after shutting off the filter, they sink.

I was going to run the filter again and shut it off tonight and see what it looks like in the morning.

Bottom line, is it looks alot better now, but, still has a long way to go.

I don't have a test kit yet, I have been using the pool store to test the water. But, so far, the only things they have had me do to it, is shock and Floc. Luckily they haven't tried to sell me a bunch of stuff.

Thanks for any help, Jamie

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

They have already been selling you stuff that we likely do not recommend, like floc and "shock".

What specifically have you been adding to raise the chlorine level? It could actually be causing problems.
Also that floc could gum up and make a mess of your filter.

You REALLY need to invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits, best value is the TF-100 with XL option from tftestkits.net, and then follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process.

Continue to scoop out everything you can.

Please add your location (add the State) to your profile and pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.