What do you think of this calcium chloride?

JamieP

Platinum Supporter
May 16, 2011
TX (~30 miles south of Dallas)
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
I found this source for a 50 lb bag of calcium chloride de-icing pellets. The label says it is 94-97%. With shipping the cost is less than $1/lb, the best I have found. Does it look safe for pools? Do I need to worry about what else might be in it? Just wanted opinions before I ordered. Thanks!

Excel Calcium Chloride Ice Melter | GEMPLER'S

I considered that for mine, but got nervous about the "other stuff" in there. If you can catch it on sale, you can usually get the hardness plus products from Leslie's or other pool stores for the same price, about $1 per pound. In fact, I recently got mine for under $1 per pound by simply asking for a discount, and that was from Leslie's!

I considered that for mine, but got nervous about the "other stuff" in there. If you can catch it on sale, you can usually get the hardness plus products from Leslie's or other pool stores for the same price, about $1 per pound. In fact, I recently got mine for under $1 per pound by simply asking for a discount, and that was from Leslie's!

Thank you! Maybe I will try that at my local Leslies. It can't hurt!

I found this same product on Amazon in a bucket (seems preferable to the bag for sealing purposes) but about $1.10/lb with shipping. Someone listed the chemical contents in the questions section. Does the "other stuff" look especially problematic so I should forego this product altogether?

"The MSDS shows CHEMICAL ANALYSIS
Specification, Typical
Calcium Chloride (CaCl2) % 94 MIN, 94.0
Alkali Chlorides (as NaCl) % 5 MAX, 4.0
Magnesium (as MgCl2) % 0.02 MAX, 0.01
Other impurities (except moisture) % 0.20 MAX, 0.10"

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.