Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: List of things I need? Cost cutting essentials

1. Back To Top    #1

List of things I need? Cost cutting essentials

I was wondering if there's a list of what I would need for my pool, I thought maybe I should order it all at once. (Pool specs in my sig.)

So far I have: bleach, borax I have to find somewhere and buy, baking soda.
    Good to have pH up from the pool store?
    Should I also buy the cover cleaner, flocking stuff, or other chemicals that don't have cheap replacements?
    Good test kit as described on this forum.
    I have a leafmaster and will be getting a leaf rake.
    Will get solar cover and have a reel, and I know these aren't necessary.
    Have a crappy tarp that will suffice for winter covering if I cover my pool.
    I have a pole with a net at the end, but it has a hole in it, so I guess I need to buy another... or how do I fix it?
    I have a Dolphin so that helps.
    Any other essentials I need to think about buying?
    Inground oval approx 17.5' x 35' (with middle of deep end 9'?) so guessing 27000 gallons. Vinyl liner, BBB chlorine. Dolphin. Portable fullsize spa not currently in use.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: List of things I need? Cost cutting essentials

Is your pump on a timer? That can save you quite a bit in electrical costs.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by aquamarine
    PH Up is soda ash. Soda ash is available as ARM & HAMMER® Super Washing Soda Detergent Booster. Do not confuse this with ARM & HAMMER® laundry detergent! It is sold in the laundry detergent section of most larger grocery stores and some big box stores. You can also buy it from the pool store, but it costs more there.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I was wondering if there's a list of what I would need for my pool, I thought maybe I should order it all at once. (Pool specs in my sig.)

So far I have: bleach, borax I have to find somewhere and buy, baking soda.
    Should I also buy the cover cleaner, flocking stuff, or other chemicals that don't have cheap replacements?
    Good test kit as described on this forum.
    I have a leafmaster and will be getting a leaf rake.
    Will get solar cover and have a reel, and I know these aren't necessary.
    Have a crappy tarp that will suffice for winter covering if I cover my pool.
    I have a pole with a net at the end, but it has a hole in it, so I guess I need to buy another... or how do I fix it?
    I have a Dolphin so that helps.
    Any other essentials I need to think about buying?
    PH UP is the same as Soda Ash, and you should be able to get that and Borax at Walmart or grocery store, look in laundry aisle.

You should need cover cleaner, flocking stuff, algaecide or anything else. A properly balanced pool won't need anything else. If opening issues are present, usually all it takes is lots of chlorine and POP while letting the filter do it's job.

I've cleaned my solar cover by just hosing it off and let it dry, the FC levels in the pool should take care of anything else. I assume you mean the solar cover. If you want to scrub it good, just use a diluted bleach solution with water should do the trick.

Probably replace the net.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

Does the Dolphin eat the fish?
    Sorry, I only have a rubber ducky thermometer....I don't know what a Dolphin is.
    Regards,
    Martha in Texas
    17K gl-15'X34' IG, Fiberglass, Pentair: Intelliflo VS 3HP pump, PAL 2000 underwater lights, DE60 filter, Intellichlor IC 20SWG, Poolvergnuegen Suction Pool Cleaner2009 build date; TC100

6. Back To Top    #6

Dolphin is a brand of robotic pool cleaners, made by Maytronics.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Hehe I wish I had a pet dolphin. Of course you'd need a huge pool for a real dolphin. The dolphin is an automatic pool cleaner robot thing. It rolls around and vaccuums up stuff.
    Inground oval approx 17.5' x 35' (with middle of deep end 9'?) so guessing 27000 gallons. Vinyl liner, BBB chlorine. Dolphin. Portable fullsize spa not currently in use.

8. Back To Top    #8

Okay great, so my list has borax, soda ash, baking soda, timer, leaf rake and new net.

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    If opening issues are present, usually all it takes is lots of chlorine and POP while letting the filter do it's job.
    Umm... POP?

9. Back To Top    #9

Okay, good about using diluted bleach on solar cover -- can I use that to clean this crappy black tarp too?

10. Back To Top    #10

Um, maybe 1 bottle of flocking stuff for now though, so the dolphin can work better? Since I am trying to get my swamp back in shape. First I will fish out a lot with the leafmaster & leaf rake & vaccuum obviously. Well, I hope the flocking stuff is not needed, so I can save more money, lol.

11. Back To Top    #11

don't forget a good test kit!
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

12. Back To Top    #12

Oh! 8)
    I will add my cleaner to my signature....my automatic cleaner's name is this:
    Poolvergnuegen PVN 2X Suction In-Ground Pool Cleaner
    Regards,
    Martha in Texas
    17K gl-15'X34' IG, Fiberglass, Pentair: Intelliflo VS 3HP pump, PAL 2000 underwater lights, DE60 filter, Intellichlor IC 20SWG, Poolvergnuegen Suction Pool Cleaner2009 build date; TC100

13. Back To Top    #13

Okay, you win the hard-to-say cleaner name contest. Dolphins are not that pretty but I like mine. It was on the less expensive side as far as those robots go.

I mentioned test kit

14. Back To Top    #14

Umm... POP?
    Pool Owner Patience.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

15. Back To Top    #15

oops...missed that...sorry
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

16. Back To Top    #16

Um, maybe 1 bottle of flocking stuff for now though, so the dolphin can work better? Since I am trying to get my swamp back in shape. First I will fish out a lot with the leafmaster & leaf rake & vaccuum obviously. Well, I hope the flocking stuff is not needed, so I can save more money, lol.
    You did say "need". You don't "need" floc, though some people like to use it. It's costly, it does work in some situations, but a need? No.

POP. Definitely POP!
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

17. Back To Top    #17

Well in my book, I "need" the floc if it will save me more than 40-60 minutes of work or so. Considering my swampy situation.

Ah, I guessed patience, but couldn't figure out the rest.

18. Back To Top    #18

don't know how well floc will work with a robot cleaner. It is usually better used with a manual vacuum and a filter that can vacuum to waste. Robots will probably disturb the settled stuff too much and cause it to mix back into the water.

I would hold off on the floc.

19. Back To Top    #19

Pardon my ignorance,but, what the heck is floc
    Lynn

16x38 FG, 20,400G, 1HP/2sp Tristar pump, Hayward 425sq ft cart. filter, Pro Logic4, SWCG, 3 returns, 2 main drains, 1 skimmer, 4 Pentair deck jets, Hayward Phantom pressure cleaner/booster pump, TF-100 of course :-)orthofish-s-pool-build-finally-t13179.html

20. Back To Top    #20

Some solution you pour into the pool and it makes the little particles get grouped together (congeal) a bit so that you can actually scoop it out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast