First opening, SLAM underway, but need some advice

My pool gets dirt like that all the time. Always makes me wonder about algae!!! However, when my FC losses are 1 ppm at most per day right now (cool water, covered), 0 CC, I know it's just dust. I live on the edge of town near fields and this time of year, it's always blowing around.

Or sure ... definitely a skimmer sock. That's an easy one. I can't live without mine. It grabs so much fine silt, dog hair, and bugs it's ridiculous. If the sock alone doesn't help with the really fine stuff, then some DE might be a good idea as well. At least for certain times o the year over there when that stuff kicks-up.

For CYA ... my pool is the same ... west-side blasting sun from dawn to dusk. Once you're algae-free like now, you evaluate your FC loss. If you lose more than 4 ppm per day, then you may want to consider increasing CYA a bit. Try in 10 ppm increments. My pool has a CYA of 60 right now (70 in Jun - Sep) and is just under 18K, so I lose (ideally) about 2.5 ppm each day which is about 1/2 gallon of 8.25% each evening. So now you know in the future if you are losing more FC than normal, or more than 4 ppm each day, it's either algae (SLAM) or loss to the sun (more CYA).

Interesting, I too have a pool that is in the sun for the entire day in the summer. This is my first summer with the pool though. Until recently my pool was balanced perfectly. But now that the sun has decided to grace us with the humidity, I am losing almost all my FC, my cya was at 60. I was at 3ppm, fc checked today and was like at .5 or 1... Could this be from the sun?

I have a 27 foot above ground. Because my old cover was a PoS it took me 9 gallons of shock to get the water clear this year. There's enough in there to clear the Western Front. The past couple of days have burned a lot of it out, it no longer smells to high heaven but the numbers are still very high. At least it's clear though!

Guess I should update this now. Ive had crystal clear water for a couple of days now.

Chemistry as of yesterday:
FC: 3
CC: 0
CYA: 30
TA: 80
CA: 210
pH: 7.4

Couple of pictures, but I do have a stain around the drain that I cant seem to get out, any suggestions?
IMG_20160531_070720212.jpg

IMG_20160531_070733848.jpg

Looking good. I would suggest watching that FC to make sure it never drops below 2 as long as your CYA is 30. If you raise your CYA later for the summer, you'll need to increase FC slightly as well. Easy stuff though. As for the stain, you might try crushing-up some vitamin C tablets, place them in a sock, and scrub/hold it against that stain as much as you can. If it changes or disappears, it's from metals. If that doesn't work, try rubbing it with a chlorine tablet. If that works it's a stain from organic material and increasing your FC for a while might help it resolve itself.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.