CC Question

May 15, 2015
Ankeny, IA
I've been working on getting my pool open this spring. It was pretty ugly when I opened the cover, so I've been working hard to get it cleaned up. On the good side the water is very clear (not perfect). The problem is the CC number hasn't been changing. I'm still losing 4ppm of FC each day. My CC has been holding steady at 1.5. I tested my CYA and it was a little different than I originally tested, so I upped my shock number from 12ppm to 14ppm.

Would that small difference be the problem? Is there something else I'm missing that would keep that CC level staying high for so long even though I've been doing a SLAM (with interruptions) for 3 weeks...

Thanks

Have you deep cleaned your sand filter? Not backwash but DEEP cleaned it, aka, taken it apart and clean the sand?

If your pool was "ugly" when you opened it, then you can bet that all that crud you killed off is sitting in your filter sand slowly being digested by the chlorine. People are often amazed after a cleaning up a swamp that their backwash water is clear but, when they open up their filter, they find a barrel full of mucky sand.

The filter is the most overlooked and neglected part of the pool pad and, yet, it is the most critical part of your pools equipment setup.

Current numbers:

FC=14
CC=1 (measured lower this morning)
pH=7.2
TA=170
CH=210
CYA=35

I haven't been in the pool to get to all the nooks and crannies around things like the light. I have used my pool brush around it though the best I could get at it. I have reached in from the side and brushed all aroudn my steps and the edges around the pool. One place I'm always concerned with is the bottom of my automatic cover. I have no good way to get under that!

I haven't ready about the DEEP cleaning of the sand filter. Is there an article you can point me to? Do I just take the stop of the filter off and scrape off the mucky sand?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.