Hook_emHTX

Oct 6, 2019
Houston
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Just installed a new motor to my pump, and when I fired it up, the switch was turned from 230v to 115v. It was making a bit of noise so I killed it immediately. After setting it to the correct voltage, it now will not come on. What’s my next step here?

H,

If you "Hook_em" wrong, I suspect your next step is to buy a new motor... :(

Let's see what @JamesW has to say..

In most things, if you connect 240 to a 120 circuit, it will almost instantly be a goner..

Thanks,

Jim R.

So if the pump is rated to run on 220, than what would the effect of hitting it with 220. For better context, attached is a picture of the as-wired pump with the switch.Pump Motor Wiring.jpg

How long was the pump run before shutting it off. If it was set wrong, you might have 30 seconds before it's toasted. Did any smoke come out of the motor? Also make sure the switch is fully set for the correct voltage. I have seen a few motors where it looked set correctly but needed to be turned/pushed past a detent to be properly set.

Measure the voltage line to line to see what voltage is getting to the pump.
I measured voltage from ground to each post and was showing power. It wasn’t until later I thought to measure from post to post and found out it was getting almost no reading. Pushing the current through with the switch on 115 damaged the breaker in the panel. Swapped it out and it fired right up.

Reactions: JamesW and Jimrahbe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.