Connecting two return lines to one jet

Hi everyone,

First time poster, longer time reader here - many more will come I'm sure. Thanks for all the help so far.

We have an older above ground pool with 1 skimmer and 1 return jet. I got two solar heating panels I'm trying to hook up this year for the first time. My plan right now is to run the filter to a three way valve to control if the water goes to the heaters or directly back to the pool. Since I only have 1 jet I need to bring the lines back together using a Y or a tee connection. The heaters will be slightly above the pools water line.

My question is if when I run the water directly to the pool whether I'd be pressuring the panels in the opposite direction and eventually wear them out. I was thinking of using a check valve before the heated water enters the Y, but I'm not sure if that's an appropriate use of the check valve. Of course I could use a shut off valve on both ends of the heater line, but knowing myself I'll direct the water to the heater and forget to turn the return jet back on (based on my prior experience). I want something that's automatic and can't be forgotten. What's the best way to do that?

Thanks.

Most solar installs have a check valve on the solar return so that is an appropriate use of a check valve although I don't think you would have any concerns if you didn't have it either. The panels may be pressurized but not much more than they would be under normal operation. Most panels have fairly high pressure ratings but check yours just to make sure.

Thanks for the response. I'm re-plumbing pretty much everything. The input and output shut offs were at least 8 feet from the filter pump. I would invariably do some work on the filter or pump and flip the switch and realize a minute later I was running with both shut off. I was especially worried about that with the panels.

I replumbed it so I have a shutoff valve before the returning tee right next to the intake 3 way valve which is right above the pump. I have a clear check valve after the filter right at eyeball level right there so it will be really hard to turn it on and walk away. So basically I made it so I can separate the zones completely while dummy proofing how to turn the valves since they are all in the same place. I'm just not sure I "me-proofed" it...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.