Tiny intake leak?

Uncle Flappy

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 28, 2015
Tucson, AZ
I'm wondering if you folks can help me identify if (and where) an intake leak is coming from. It doesn't appear that I am pulling air in the skimmer (no vortex and the diverter is in place); I checked the basket O-ring and pump union O-ring; and put pipe tape on the pump union threads. The two pump drain plugs seem to be fine. Assuming I do have a leak, it is a tiny one. Here is a timeline with photos:

6:00am - pump starts. Running filter mode at 1100rpm.

6:30am - A small collection of bubbles in the pump basket:
630.jpg

8:30am, more bubbles:
830.jpg

9:30am, even more:
930.jpg

When I crank up the speed to full (3450rpm) the bubbles dissipate:
3450rpm.jpg

...and the cycle will start all over again.

I'm thinking about switching to Spa Mode next to see if that makes a difference. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the advice.

- Bill

Bill, while we never like to see air under the lid, sometimes a small amount is unavoidable. Your situation is somewhat common in that it has been observed that some variable speed pumps will accumulate a few bubbles under the lid in what can sometimes be referred to as out-gassing. Certain (low) speeds/RPMs lend themselves to creating these bubbles which are not always indicative of a typical suction-side air leak. Often times VSP owners will program their pump to kick-up RPMs at some point each day just to purge those bubbles. I have a fairly robust 2-speed that tends to do the same thing on low after a while, so I have to crank mine up once a day as well. Naturally you want to make sure there are no suction side leaks, but it seems like you've addressed most of them. But as long as the strainer basket doesn't drop in level or you lose prime to the pump, I think you will be fine simply purging it once a day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.