Swimming pool in need of renovation

May 9, 2016
FL
Hi everyone.

I have just joined as I have a major pool project and would really appreciate some advice on what is possible.

I am buying a house which has a swimming pool which as you will see from the photos is old and needs draining and a lot of maintenance. My biggest concern is that the edges are raised tiles which I think could be quite dangerous for my kids to fall from getting in and out of the pool. What I'd like to know is can anything be done with this? For example, could the height of the sides of the pool be lowered so they are level with the ground and there is no raised edge? Alternatively, would it be better to raise the height of the patio surrounding the pool?

I also can't see any overflow which I notice on new pools. Would this be a problem?

Apologies for all the questions but have no idea if it would be easier to renovate the existing pool or remove it completely. Any advice would be much appreciated. Many thanks.

Attachments

• 7_pool3.JPG
    7_pool3.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 75
  • 6_Pool.JPG
    6_Pool.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 76
  • 9_Pool_edges.JPG
    9_Pool_edges.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 74
  • 11_Wall needs raising by pool and edges of pool need lowering or patio raising_1.JPG
    11_Wall needs raising by pool and edges of pool need lowering or patio raising_1.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 72
Hi to another FL person! That is a pretty pool area! All of the plants to put stuff in the pool LOL. I see some pruning in your future.

The raised edge could be a good thing for the kids and it could be a bad thing. It all depends on the ages of the kids and how well they follow directions.

I have NO idea how much it would cost to change it. I do suggest you can at least three different pool construction people to get bids BUT you might have a hard time getting anyone to come out as it is their busy build season.

As for filling it in.........that can get VERY expensive fast. Again get at least 3 bids.

Overflow-not all pool have one. You need to keep an eye on the pool and drain it as needed. Share what equipment you have and we will be able to tell you how best to drain it.

We can/will help you get and keep that pretty pool blue. That is what we do best here. Here is some reading for you to do to start learning the whys and hows of TFP:

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Let us know if you would like to start clearing that pool. We can get you started right away.

Kim:cat:

I think that is a great looking pool and deck. The tile and desk also both appear to be in good shape from what I can see. I would train your kids to deal with the lip. No one should run around a pool anyways. I don't see a skimmer though. Got more pictures including any of the equipment pad? What is the major work that needs to be done?

I do like the uniqueness of that pool. But, I can see the tile being very slippery on the top. I would consider changing the tile to some with more texture to give some grip and give it a bit more of an up-to-date look.

If the bond beam is below the raised rim and the skimmer is below the raised rim, then it should be possible to remove it if so desired.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.